we are checking your browser..

The reviews showing for privacy pass are not very encouraging.

It works for me now. What I do is whitelist/allow cookies from Cloudflare and Linux.org. But I discover this just a few hours ago, we'll see about that later.

Here's my experiment:
In one browser, I allow only cookies from Linux.org and delete all Cloudflare cookies. It works for a while, but after I restart my computer, Cloudflare asks me to solve the captcha again.

In another browser, I allow both cookies from Linux.org and Cloudflare. It works like usual after the computer restart and I solve the captcha only once. Cloudflare didn't ask for captcha solving even when I don't login into my account.

Edit: It didn't work now. Still get the captcha.

Last edited:
I've done pretty much the opposite of everyone else.

I've made zero efforts to change anything. I use the site like normal.

It asked me to solve one CAPTCHA this morning and hasn't asked me since. When I do refresh after a while, it does check my browser - but it doesn't ask me to solve anything.

I have to admit, it is kind of a nuisance. I likely won't log in for a while.

Understandable, in the circumstances, and ditto to @f33dm3bits

Keep your notifications enabled, and we will announce when what passes for normal is resumed. ;)

Wiz

I tried to keep it within family rules of Linux.org forum and believe me no imagination was needed for some of the images I found. ;) :p

Wow! Those pictures you found must have shown a lot of kites!

I've made zero efforts to change anything. I use the site like normal.
Not to be rude, by I try this and it don't work for me. I reset everything on a browser that I rarely use (Yandex Browser), login into my account. After one hour, it ask for a captcha.

What I'm thinking right now is the Cloudflare cookie (cf_chl_prog) expire after one hour.
I check out from Brave browser > Search for keyword Cookie > Cookies and other site data > www.linux.org > See all cookies and site data > www.linux.org > cf_chl_prog > Expires.

Not to be rude, by I try this and it don't work for me. I reset everything on a browser that I rarely use (Yandex Browser), login into my account. After one hour, it ask for a captcha.

What I'm thinking right now is the Cloudflare cookie (cf_chl_prog) expire after one hour.
I check out from Brave browser > Search for keyword Cookie > Cookies and other site data > www.linux.org > See all cookies and site data > www.linux.org > cf_chl_prog > Expires.

It may just not like you, or what your traffic looks like. If you're in a geographic area where a lot of malicious traffic originates, it's gonna be harder on you than it will me.

And, you're trying different things as opposed to me trying exactly nothing. So, you're not really trying it.

CF is a completely proprietary black box when it comes to this.

we are checking your browser.
They're checking all my browsers...Firefox...Opera...Slimjet and Google Chrome, for what exactly...tracking maybe ? :( ;)

This topic started at 4.52am this morning (australian time), it is now 17.14pm During that time the majority of usa folk are sleeping.

The topic has run for 12hours and 22 minutes, and has received 74 replies, covering 4 pages.

Something of a record, perhaps?

If nothing else, it does give a very good indication that the membership of Linux.org is seriously pissed off with the state of affairs.

Ok. Now that I have excreted a little pent up steam......

A per @MatsuShimizu's advice much earlier in this thread, I installed the 'Privacy Pass' add on in Firefox. It has only been there for 10 minutes, and I have yet to be held to ransom by the rotten hCaptcha thingie yet.
My previous experience has been....every bloody time I click on a linux.org link in an email, I am held to ransom before being 'allowed' to view what I wish to view.

Who knows?...we may have a winner !

You have a good attention span, Brian, that is clear :) :)

I am using Brave Browser right now, and I do not have to complete the Captcha exercise, although I believe Nelson may have had a different experience.

It throws up the Captcha screen, but then redirects me fairly quickly to here.

After closing the browser session and reopening, the process is repeated, but there is little inconvenience.

I have not configured it nor added any addons.

Wiz

The topic has run for 12hours and 22 minutes, and has received 74 replies, covering 4 pages.
I dont know what zone the board time is set to but I started the thread at 19-52 [board time] Saturday and yes I/We are pissed off but are sticking with it to let Rob & the boys to hopefully find a solution,

I believe the difference between one users experience and anothers....is simply the random nature of the "app" that cloudfare uses to spit out the captcha screen

I just happened to draw the short straw today

If nothing else, it does give a very good indication that the membership of Linux.org is seriously pissed off with the state of affairs.
I can't say that I'm pissed off and although it's a real PITA it only takes a few extra seconds of time so ain't that big of a deal and more of a user inconvenience than anything else imo.

At least now I have something legitimate to bitch and complain about than what I usually bitch and complain about. :p

Brave's not perfect, has a few glitches, but better than most I have tried (FF, Waterfox, Flashpeak Slimjet, Vivaldi, Chromium and Chrome so far).

I was just saying to Elaine over a coffee, as my dear late Mother used to say

"Think positive!"

We are not sheltering from the aftermath of a nuclear firestorm, progress is being made with COVID (a number of us have been jabbed). And so on.

Stuff happens (I usually use a shorter word), and we can survive it, it won't last long, I hope.

Cheers all

Wiz

Latest posts