we are checking your browser..

We're a bunch of geeks running Linux.... we gotta be suspicious! :eek::oops:o_O:rolleyes::D

zHL0CmF.jpeg

I'm not sure if I explained this well. There's nothing you can do to prevent this from happening.

You can *maybe* lower the number of interruptions by not using a VPN, not blocking scripts, and possibly with not blocking ads - possibly. The goal is to look as little like a bot as possible. CF may leave you alone more often that way.

But, if CF wants to toss up the page, the only one who can stop it is the admin. There's no browser that's special and won't get flagged. There's no combination of extensions to make CF change its mind. CF is in between you and the actual site.

In theory, if this site had a dedicated IP address, you might be able to bypass it with that. You'd be skipping CF entirely then - but that may be blocked for security reasons. The IP address(es) right now (if you were to dig for them) would be CF addresses, so you'd have to know the address from before CF was implemented.

I'm not sure if I explained this well. There's nothing you can do to prevent this from happening.
This has only been happening to me since today, yesterday I wasn't having this problem with capture checks. I don't use a vpn and my home ip address hasn't changed either. So it is a problem because it wasn't happening before, if the problem doesn't get solved I will be visiting Linux.org a lot less because it's a PITA to have to do a Captcha every 10 min after I do a page refresh.

As mentioned above, it could be that the site is currently under attack or that Rob made a recent change and this is an unintended consequence. (I can't imagine that this is intentional.)

If CF doesn't think you're potentially a bot (using who knows what methods to decide that, 'cause they're not telling us) it throws up the page with the CAPTCHA on it.

For 'reasons' CF doesn't make that information public. I guess I can understand not doing so. So, how they determine what is and what isn't a bot is a proprietary black box.

Hopefully it gets sorted soon. I stay logged in and it only bugs me if I haven't visited for an hour or two. It doesn't (usually) bug me if I've been here browsing around.

I don't have ads blocked - nor do I block scripts - but I am connected to a VPN. It's a well-known VPN, so may be treated more kindly than other VPNs.

This morning it asked for two pages of bikes, I figured I was new so maybe I would accept it.

This afternoon 4 bloody screens of boats, one which had a square blurring the photos.

Life has become too short to put up with this BS, I just find it disrespectful.

I have a zero tolerance policy for this so will be leaving the site.

I can't say I entirely disagree with you, @Jane33

btw...are you actually 88 ?

A belated Welcome to Linux.org

it's a PITA to have to do a Captcha every 10 min after I do a page refresh.
I mentioned back in post #5 that I thought connecting to linux.org with HTTPS would bypass the Captcha requirement (after a short delay). I still find this to be true, for me, and only HTTP demands the captcha with both Firefox and Vivaldi. Can you (and others) confirm this? It will be a lot less frustration to just use HTTPS if it is a true workaround.

I do experience a "timeout" also and cloudflare reevaluates my browser... and it hangs here. For this, I simply close the browser, open it again, and return again to linux.org with HTTPS and start over.

I don't have ads blocked - nor do I block scripts - but I am connected to a VPN. It's a well-known VPN, so may be treated more kindly than other VPNs.

My Firefox runs 2 ad blockers and I do block scripts with NoScript. Linux.org is allowed to run scripts, but Google is not. As I said above, I can still avoid the captcha problem. I am not using a vpn. My Vivaldi uses a built-in ad blocker, but it allows scripts.

Hope this helps. Let us know if HTTPS lets you in without the captcha too.

It's almost certainly either a mistake (an unintended consequence from a settings change) or the site protecting itself from an attack. Both of which are perfectly valid reasons. It's not yet time for pitchforks and torches, I'm pretty sure.

I always use HTTPS. The site has only asked me to fill in a single CAPTCHA today. It has evaluated my browser numerous times, but only one CAPTCHA today.

I always use HTTPS. The site has only asked me to fill in a single CAPTCHA today. It has evaluated my browser numerous times, but only one CAPTCHA today.
I use HTTPS Everywhere addon with Firefox. It may be that when it hangs on timeout, that it is my script blocker that keeps the captcha from loading. So reloading the browser fixes that until the next timeout. I have not been forced into a captcha yet except using HTTP to test this.

No, it's not the end of the world, and I'm sure @Rob will get it fixed in time. But it sure is annoying. :(

But it sure is annoying.

Indeed!

My past few sites have been built with WordPress and I've skipped using CF, opting for a different CDN.

If I could see the traffic logs, I'd be able to make a more accurate guess as to the why, but I can narrow it down to *likely* being one of the two previous mentioned reasons.

All we can really do is wait to see what the admin does about this.

I can also add that I'm confident that Rob will know about this as soon as he logs into the forum. He's got a whole lot of messages telling him about it/registering their thoughts on the matter.

So, there's that...

If I had a way to contact him off-site, I'd consider this a qualified reason to do so. I do not have such a method.

Over the last couple of days , when i log into Linux.org, I get a flash page [bit quick for me to read all of it] but in big letters it says we are checking your browser..
anyone else seeing it?
Yea I see it too

This morning it asked for two pages of bikes, I figured I was new so maybe I would accept it.

This afternoon 4 bloody screens of boats, one which had a square blurring the photos.

Life has become too short to put up with this BS, I just find it disrespectful.

I have a zero tolerance policy for this so will be leaving the site.
certainly it shows no sense of imagination- i mean you could have images of Linux distros and ask click imgs of Linux Distro, they could thow in red Herrings of XP , Windows 10 etc

Staff online

Members online