Want to try linux

OK, that's probably a hard drive partition, so don't use that.

If you click in the box, and still don't see Drive E:, then try to format the USB manually with Windows first. Format it to FAT32 (check the box for Quick Format). This will erase the flash drive. After formatting, try it again.

The E drive has vanished from my file explorer page so drive D appears to be the one. should I tick any of the boxes and what should I set for the persistent value at step 4?

I have an error message ;- an error occurred while executing syslinux. your USB drive won't be bootable FAT32 filesystem detected Your drive must be formatted as FAT32 or NTFS

You need to be very careful. I'm not sure you're telling me correct information. You said your SanDisk flash drive was 32GB. What you typed in just earlier said that drive D: was only 14GB, and it also named it WINDOWS 10. Because of that, I said do not use the D drive as you reported it.

If your SanDisk is actually only 16GB, then what you showed as 14GB could be correct. My 32GB flash drive shows as 29GB. This is common to see USB drives reported as smaller size.

I do not want you to corrupt a Windows partition while trying to use this tool. If you do, your computer may not boot Windows anymore.

Can you not clearly insert the SanDisk flash drive, determine what the drive letter is, and format it as FAT32? Are you familar with formatting a flash drive?

I don't seem to be able to track the SanDisk. Nothing happens when I plug it in. It has 32GB stamped on the metal body of the device. Would it be a good idea for me to buy another USB flash drive. and then try again. If you have any advice as to the best perhaps you could let me know. Either way thanks very much for all your help. I'm probably as knowledgeable as your avatar.

I just don't want you to mess up Windows.... this process should not do that, and the whole idea of learning Linux by running the USB is so that you don't do any damage to the Windows system.

I am confused by the behavior of your SanDisk. You might reboot and start over. With Windows, rebooting can solve a lot of issues. If you move forward again, just be sure that the 32GB drive (E: or whatever it is) is the proper one selected in the Universal USB Installer program. If not, don't proceed.

You could certainly try another drive, but go cheap! Anything bigger than 8GB will give you enough space, and the persistence limit is only 4GB anyway (using this method.... there are ways to make it bigger, but no need for that).

You cracked me up about the avatar! :D If you can, hang in there. We know it's hard when you first tip toe into the Linux waters, but everyone here is a big fan, and we really do want to help others learn it. I'll look for you to come back, whether soon with the SanDisk working, or in a few days with a new USB. And if I don't respond, I'm sure others will jump in.

Members online

Latest posts