Want to try linux, have never used it or even seen it.

T

Tim Lanham

Hi all:

I have never used Linux or know anything about it, have heard about it for years(obviously).
I would like to try it but don't really know how to start.
What are some suggestions for getting a start with Linux?

Thanks for any help or suggestions from any and all

Most people think Linux is a single operational system, or can only understand it in this fashion. The laws of marketing make us believe in brands and almost unthoughtfully pick our favorite. It's not likely your case, since you may have researched a bit.

Anyway, Linux is a kernel atop of which many operational systems/distributions have been developed. Some tools can help you download and/or install a given Linux OS into USB drives, if you don't wanna spend cds and dvds in order to test several distributions. Keep in mind that once you install GNU/Linux on your HDD/SDD, you'll have a much smoother experience, unless you own fast mobile storage.

If you are running Windows and have a spare flash drive laying around, http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

For Mac, Windows and Linux itself: http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

P.S.: You can run any distro on that kind of hardware.

These guys already explained some for you. After trying Live CDs and you feel you're good to go, choose your favorite Linux distribution and download its ISO image. Usually, I'd recommend Ubuntu and Linux Mint for new Linux users. Then you can burn it on your DVD or USB flash drive.

If you want to burn it on your USB drive, get Universal USB Installer to do so.

You can download Ubuntu in the official website. In the download section, you choose which version you want to download, either 12.10 LTS or 13.10.
If you prefer Linux Mint more point your browser to the Linux Mint official website and in the download section, simply choose which DE and architecture you want to download.

Once you finish burning the ISO on either your DVD or your USB drive, you can insert that and reboot your computer. Make sure you make your PC boot into that installation media. The only part you need to pay attention to is the partitioning part.

After installation, you should start playing around with the system. Also don't forget to play around with some commands in Terminal as well.

If you want to burn it on your USB drive, get Universal USB Installer to do so.

Another USB Boot creator you might want to use is Rufus. It has some more advanced settings to allow for older or picky bios / uefi boards if your PC won't boot up with the Universal USB creator.
OpenSUSE's iso was one such for me.
For some odd reason it wouldn't boot my USB from UEFI so had to create it as a bios boot USB which then worked fine.

I would have to ask your reason for wanting to make the switch. I've found that when you take someone who has never used a computer, and put Ubuntu in front of them, they have no problem learning to use it. It is easier than Windows for the completely illiterate. However, a lifelong Windows user just can't seem to get used to Ubuntu's GUI. I think most of them are thinking too complex, as they are used to having to go around their elbows to get to their rear ends, so to speak.

or you can do what I did and install on a second HDD and have bot O/S at the same time on separate HDD, I hardly ever boot into Windows but it is there for games once a week or so

Try lili usb creator very simple and neat. Open program download operating system in lili or choose the iso that u have stored or choose the live cd that u have and create.

Link: linuxliveusb

I use Ubuntu, not because it need it to accommodate my hardware, but because I like the interface and it was more than easy to get my scanner to work

@ Richard Rodriguez -- you're an it? (Some think I'm an it. I guess you are, too!)
"more than easy"? I guess it installs itself -- sounds like a windoze thing!

LOL -- just havin' fun

Latest posts