Want to replace a (broke) dual-boot WinXP/Lubuntu with just Lubuntu...

Z

Zdragon

I have a handle on most of it, but I wanted to remove all the excess partitioning - the WinXP partition, the hidden recover partition for WinXP...

My question is, when I used GParted, I saw five partitions!

/dev/sda1 ntfs (My WinXP main partition)
/dev/sda2 fat32 (the IBM_SERVICE hidden recovery partition)
/dev/sda3 extended (which is where Lubuntu originally installed, which includes:
/dev/sda5 ext4 (the Lubuntu partition itself) and
/dev/sda6 unknown - and this is the partition I have no idea what it's for.

Anyway, what I want to know is, should I just go ahead and reinstall Lubuntu from the LiveCD and select "Use Entire Drive", or do I need to go in first with GParted and wipe out each partition separately? Will the LiveCD install clear all the partitions completely?

[edit] Alternatively, since Lubuntu is already installed, is there a way I can just remove all the unwanted partitions and extend the Lubuntu one into freshly cleared space, without reinstalling? I'm not emotionally invested in anything currently on the drive (all files backed up safely), so a reformat isn't going to break my heart; but if the other way is faster, I'm all for it.

Thanks - I searched the forums, but didn't find exactly the right answer - or didn't search properly...

Last edited:

If you choose the "Use Entire Drive" option, it'll wipe out all the partitions, and partition the drive the way the installer writer wants it partitioned.

Personally, I'd just do a full wipe, and start off with a clean slate.

Members online

Latest posts