VPN client for Linux

E

efromeroc

After many problems using Cisco Linux VPN to connect my Suse servers to a Cisco VPN concentrator, I decided to use the freeware version VPNC, it works great. Now the time to change the VPN Cisco concentrator is arriving and I am looking for other options. I found good comments about Sonicwall but I want to know how stable is their VPN Linux agent.... any recommendation will be appretiated... Thanks

Use OpenVPN. That is the best Free Software VPN you can get. I prefer it over a Cisco VPN. Only the Windows 7 64-Bit is a porblem. Else it's the best way to go.

so far
akendo

+1 for OpenVPN. I'm using it too, I also tried other services including a few paying ones, but OpenVPN beats all of the free ones.. I'm using Hotspot Shield on windows, but that's just really annoying... it has way too many pop ups and advertisements. Try OpenVPN and tell us what you think!

I've not used a VPN client on Linux before, only VNC, but I would expect OpenVPN is the best way to go. I am sure there are tutorials around if you search the internet!

I would suggest OpenVPN, i've set it up and ran it myself and it was quite simple. You'll need basic firewall rules for - Post and Pre routing as well as allowing the OpenVPN port so as to direct all traffic through the server.

And a simple IPv4 forwarding should get you going. OpenVPN is simple to setup, gives you the client and sever configuration files and allows you to add or delete users.

I would have also suggested Openvpn but alot of people has already given that. Strongvpn is also a good brand so in case openvpn, you might want to use that and then tell us how it went.

Also using openvpn. WHen you want to connect, just start the openvpn service and you're good to go!

I too have also used Open VPN, not had any problems so far!

I would suggest OpenVPN, i've set it up and ran it myself and it was quite simple. You'll need basic firewall rules for - Post and Pre routing as well as allowing the OpenVPN port so as to direct all traffic through the server.

And a simple IPv4 forwarding should get you going. OpenVPN is simple to setup, gives you the client and sever configuration files and allows you to add or delete users.

Oops. I have to correct myself. Strongvpn uses openvpn program as well. It's the configuration that differs. I wonder... Does anyone know if Linux has a PPTP?

PPTP sucks, it's to complex and is to hard to get there. I had to used it with Cisco and all what it did was problems.
PPTP is anyway outdated. P2TP is the way:
When you really want something like this try to use [url='https://www.openswan.org/]OpenSwab[/url]

But as well it's complex and hard to handle. Be smart don't waste your time and use OpenVPN.

so far
akendo

Uhm, I need to know what's the actual difference between PPTP and P2TP, and maybe also L2TP/IPsec.

I noticed HidemyIP provides a way to add it's VPN on windows using L2TP layer 2 protocol. Is this some kind of security? or maybe some better connectivity?

I wonder if it's something like in OpenVPN where We have UDP and TCP protocols, where in UDP is the most stable whereas TCP isn't cause i believe it creates a lot of handshakes and multiplies the connections which is not viable on smaller wireless networks like 2G or 3G.

Lets take a cup of coffee and quote the best side of the internet, Wikipedia says:
The Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) is a method for implementing virtual private networks. PPTP uses a control channel over TCP and a GRE tunnel operating to encapsulate PPP packets.
Read more

PPTP is not so bad, but it sucks! We're talking about real VPNs, means SSL-based VPN(OpenVPN) and IPsec (openSwan).

That is why, we go to OpenSwan, it's the IPsec implementation of the Linux World. It's using the "Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol":
In computer networking, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) is a tunneling protocol used to support virtual private networks (VPNs) or as part of the delivery of services by ISPs. It does not provide any encryption or confidentiality by itself; it relies on an encryption protocol that it passes within the tunnel to provide privacy.
Read more...

When you don't know what the "Layer 2" term means you should start with some basic understanding of the network world. It's a reference to the OSI-Model. Read more about the OSI-Model

L2TP depends on another encryption technologies. That is was now IPsec is. But to understand the IPsec Standard it take a lot of time and can't be done in a day. When you a little bit informed about the World of Security, the Name "Bruce Schneier" will tell you something. He did a good review of IPsec, i recommends it to read. Read "A Cryptographic Evaluation of IPsec"

Anyway: OpenVPN is so simple. You can't do much wrong and that makes it so great.

so far
Akendo

PS: Bruce is very "delightful" on details, could be hard to understand at some points.

1. Download VPN client for linux and configruation file from the following URLs:
http://www.itservices.hku.hk/services/vpn/linux/vpnclient-linux-3.7.2.Rel-k9.tar.gz
http://www.itservices.hku.hk/services/vpn/linux/hku4linux.pcf

2. Save the download files into a temp directory e.g. /tmp.

3. Unpack the download file with the following command:

zcat vpnclient-linux-3.7.2.Rel-k9.tar.gz | tar xvf �

This command creates the vpnclient directory in the current directory e.g. /tmp/vpnclient.

4. Obtain superuser privileges to run the install script.

5. Enter the following command in the vpnclient directory e.g. /tmp/vpnclient.

./vpn_install

6. Accept all the default values of the install script.

7. Copy the configuration file hku4linux.pcf to the directory /etc/CiscoSystemsVPNClient/Profiles/.

8. Reboot your computer.

Do not think about it . Save headaches and use openvpn. Hope helps

Members online

Latest posts