Volume defaults to 100% at startup or reboot .... linux mint

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
This not a post that requires a solution.

I have experienced the unnerving situation where, unable to sleep, I have entered the PC room....turned on the pc and proceeded to browse....whatever. Still not feeling the tell tale signs of an imminent snooze, I have opened a video to watch quietly (the house has solid concrete walls). Imagine my horror when the rotten things starts with a 100% volume level .......and all this from a Logitech Z Cinema system which leaves nothing unheard ! (2 desktop speakers and a under the desk subwoofer)
Even the solid concrete walls succumbed. My wife approached......and being the soft gentle sole she is....she laughed first and then asked if I was ok?...! !

Anyway ....I found the fix and decided I would share it

My system: Linux Mint 18.3 fully updated, Kernel 4.13.0-43 Logitech speakers, powered separately and connected the pc via usb
my volume window looks like....
image.png

The situation presents itself whenever I reboot or shut down and then start up

The Fix.
Double click on Home

Go down the presented list to .config click the arrow head beside it to open its contents

Then go down that list to pulse click the arrow head beside it to open its contents

Then down that list to default.pa double click that to open its file

(Do not make any other changes other than those described here....and please use Timeshift so that you will be able to restore your system to a prior time just in case you screw up )

scroll down to almost the bottom of that screen, to find the line that reads....

set-sink-volume alsa_output.usb-Logitech_Z_Cin__ma-00.analog-stereo 66536

(the number on the end may be different......but the wording must be the same

Reduce the number on the end by 50%, or 75%....depending on how quiet you wish the startup volume to be....I reduced my number to 4096....and it is super quiet at startup or after reboot ! (bliss !)

After you have changed the number...Click on File.......and then Quit.

Reboot

My fix came from THIS PAGE....I have also reproduced the relevant part below.
(note that this was initially for Ubuntu 16.04)
""Inspired by the answer Pilot6 gave, I fixed mine by opening /home/dell/.config/pulse/default.pa in Gedit and doing a search for volume. It found it in 2 places and changing the second one that it found to the following set my startup volume to 63%.

Previous entry:

set-sink-volume alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo 65536

New entry:

set-sink-volume alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo 41288

Super-user privileges were not necessary, I just made the one simple change and restarted the machine and it worked fine. Just divide the 65536 by whatever percentage you want to set it to if you don't want 63%.

Hope this helps.""

LOVE IT ... Did Belle the dog wake up and start howling?

And you've also given me an idea (now that's dangerous, they say)

Thanks for sharing :D

Wiz

and....just to confuse the natives.....I discover after reinstalling PulseAudio, that the default.pa is longer found under .config

Instead.....
open file system, then click on etc Inside here, right click on pulse and open as root.

Scroll to the bottom and type in set-sink-volume alsa_output.usb-Logitech_Z_Cin__ma-00.analog-stereo 4096

(
4096 will ensure ytour volume is suoer quiet at startup or reboot.....you can increase the number if you wish)

Then click on File and Save. Close everything and Reboot

Latest posts