Voice Recognition

F

FBClark

Salutations all.
I've been looking around for info on good, easy to use VR for some friends. A couple have Cerebral Palsy, one has Multiple Sclerosis and another has terrible arthritis. Limited to extremely limited mobility is obvious here. I've used Linux for the household desktop system since 2007. My wife and I are more than satisfied. We tossed MS entirely in early '08 and we haven't looked back. I've introduced Vinux, Linux for the visually impaired to some other friends. For several, Vinux is working out very well but I'm hitting a brick wall finding anything for VR that's beginner friendly. I've also helped some 'normal' friends get into Ubuntu and Mint. I've found that the Ubuntu based builds seem to the way to go for newbies.
I've looked over Julius, Sphinx and Simon but what's needed is a package that's extremely easy to start with. Command line I'm thinking won't be in the running so GUI is the best way I'm sure. Even if there's a simple starter that could be used to get someone going, then they could graduate to one of the other packages.
Another consideration of course, most of these people will need assistance in setting this up, so there will, in effect be two or more newbies to Linux stirring the pot. That is, if I can persuade them to get past the fear factor of trying Linux. So, the easier it can be done, the better.
It would also be great to be able to set this up and package a 'ready to roll' limited mobility build, one that users could boot up, test out and then install and tweak for themselves. I'm thinking that's over my head, but if it's the only or best way to provide this for others, I'd give it a shot. I've got an old e-machine gathering dust I could mess around with. 'Course if anyone would like to jump and run I'd be tickled spitless to help and test and promote.
Thanks for any leads and ideas.

Members online

Latest posts