VMware tools

J

jonnyc

Trying to install Linux Mint on a V/M.
Instructions say to extract files using "tar" in Terminal. I don't know how to do that (yet).
So I tried via GUI, but when I clicked "extract" I was told I didn't have needed permissions.
I suppose that means logging in as administrator, but i don't know how yo do that either. Gotcha!!!
Help!

JC

Depending on which Linux Mint flavor you installed you should have a icon under the application launcher on your taskbar that have a terminal icon. Open this and it will bring up a new window. Now you type su (superuser) and the password. Now you are in a terminal as root. Navigate to your folder where the vmware tools archive is. Now type tar xvf *.<archive either bz bz2 or tar.

Vmware-tools are present on CD-ROM (sr0). Many times CD-ROM is mounted with read only permissions. So extract it in other directory than where tar is present. Means if you have mounted CD-ROM on /mnt/cd and your tar is present under /mnt/cd/<VMware_tools.tar.gz>. Then go to your home directory and run
tar zxvf /mnt/cd/<<VMware_tools.tar.gz>.
Inside untar directory you will get .pl file to compile and install tools.

Depending on which Linux Mint flavor you installed you should have a icon under the application launcher on your taskbar that have a terminal icon. Open this and it will bring up a new window. Now you type su (superuser) and the password. Now you are in a terminal as root. Navigate to your folder where the vmware tools archive is. Now type tar xvf *.<archive either bz bz2 or tar.

Hi MelRay, and thanks for the reply.
I,m a real illeterate at all this! All went well until the bit about " navigate to .......".
I don't know how to "navigate" in Terminal.
To clarify; I've started with a beginners article ( Introduction to Linux) which recommends having a running sample of Linux to learn from, so I thought a V/M
( in Windows) would be the solution, but now I have this chicken-and-egg situation.
I think, from my own experience, the problem is that the experts have been experts for so long that they've forgotten what was difficult in the beginning, and they find it incomprehensible that someone would not know how to navigate within Terminal!
I've no doubt that after I get further into my project I too will laugh at my present
no-handedness!
But, for the moment at least, it really has to be an "idiot's guide".
( All this is bringing on my typing though!)

JC

Vmware-tools are present on CD-ROM (sr0). Many times CD-ROM is mounted with read only permissions. So extract it in other directory than where tar is present. Means if you have mounted CD-ROM on /mnt/cd and your tar is present under /mnt/cd/<VMware_tools.tar.gz>. Then go to your home directory and run
tar zxvf /mnt/cd/<<VMware_tools.tar.gz>.
Inside untar directory you will get .pl file to compile and install tools.

Hi Sagar Shedge.
As you will realise from my previous reply, most of this is double-dutch to me at the moment. I was at a stage recently when I had VMWare Tools in a GUI window, but
to install I needed to be logged on as administrator,which I didn't know how to do.
Now I've installed Mint 17.2 in the hope that things might be a bit simpler, but no joy!
And now I forget how I got to that stage anyway. I think I'll have to re-download
VMWare Tools ( on my poxy 1Mb/s internet connection! ) and take it from there.
Trouble is I'm old, and new tricks are no longer trivial for this old dog.

JC

Hi Sagar Shedge.
As you will realise from my previous reply, most of this is double-dutch to me at the moment. I was at a stage recently when I had VMWare Tools in a GUI window, but
to install I needed to be logged on as administrator,which I didn't know how to do.
Now I've installed Mint 17.2 in the hope that things might be a bit simpler, but no joy!
And now I forget how I got to that stage anyway. I think I'll have to re-download
VMWare Tools ( on my poxy 1Mb/s internet connection! ) and take it from there.
Trouble is I'm old, and new tricks are no longer trivial for this old dog.

JC
Hello again!
Well, I gave up on the VMware idea and installed Mint on another ( very old ) computer.
Very impressed with how well it runs given the hardware! However with the two small IDE
drives I thought it would be a good idea to have my /home folder on the second hard drive,
but on searching for info on how to acheive this I was swamped with 8 - 10 year old posts
which all required major geekery. I'm still slogging away at the beginner's guide etc., but in
the meantime I thought I'd throw this out in the hope of getting something useful. It's all
beginning to seem a bit daunting and , given that I'm now in my seventies, I suppose the best
I can hope for is to become some sort of accomplished appliance operator!
Makes me realise how good Windows really is with the ability to modify and control the O/S with such tools as Device Manager. Nonetheless I really do admire the philosophy underlying the whole Linux concept and even if i can become only a not-so-accomplished appliance operator that would do for now!
Rambling...... sorry!

JC

Latest posts