VLC Not Playing Video Only Audio On Kubuntu 20.04>SOLVED

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
Hi: Mates,

I'm trying to help my bf with VLC only playing sound on some video's with a black screen.

My bf is running Kubuntu 20.04 on a custom built 64 bit desktop.

Most of his .mp4 videos have sound and video when using VLC and work just fine.
A handful of the .mp4's only have sound only with a black screen; and no video.

He's running VLC version 3.0.9.

Any idea's how I can help fix VLC?

Open VLC - Tools - Preferences - Video Tab - make sure Enable video and Window decorations have a check mark in them

Open VLC - Tools - Preferences - Video Tab - make sure Enable video and Window decorations have a check mark in them
I made sure to enable video and window decorations boxes are checked.
It's still showing a black screen with audio.

The only other thing is to turn off Hardware acceleration Tools-Preferences-Input Codecs where it says Hardware-accelerated encoding is a drop down menu turn it from automatic to disabled also down farther is Damaged or incomplete AVI file select the drop down menu and change it to Always Fix and save
There may be problem with the video itself - video header issue - the header is not the same size as the video hence it is black

Last edited by a moderator:
The only other thing is to turn off Hardware acceleration Tools-Preferences-Input Codecs where it says Hardware-accelerated encoding is a drop down menu turn it from automatic to disabled also down farther is Damaged or incomplete AVI file select the drop down menu and change it to Always Fix and save
There may be problem with the video itself - video header issue - the header is not the same size as the video hence it is black
Changing those settings worked!

Thanks Lord Boltar!

Members online