VLC: converting videos from mkv to mp4

Ottmad

Reaction score
Credits
MODERATOR'S NOTE:
This Thread is by Member @Ottmad , moved from elsewhere, but I am the New Kid on the Block with Moderating, hence the clumsiness. I'll get it cleaned up :) Responses should be directed at the OP, @Ottmad

Tried to convert a mkv video in VLC to mp4 when I tried got the following message:
Streaming / Transcoding failed:

VLC could not open the h264 video encoder.

I tried to uninstall VLC and reinstalled, but made no difference.
Any suggestions of how to fix?
Thank you,
Ottmad

Hi @Ottmad. Google shows many hits (here) on how to do the conversion... so you might review some of those to make sure you are going through the proper steps to convert video formats. Google is less helpful (here) with information on the error you received, but there still may be something useful.

Let us know what Linux distro your are using, and what version of the distro. Also tell us what Desktop Environment you are using. Some distros have "extras" that can be installed which might include a video codec that you may be missing.

Cheers

I am using Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on a 64 bit laptop. Here's what happened. The conversion worked fine in VLC, then I installed Stacer. I used Stacer to clean the system, after that is when I started having problems with VLC. I thought uninstalling and reinstalling would fix it, but to no avail. I checked the forums in Linux.org and googled it, but did not find the answer to the error.

It's great that you recognize that another program may be responsible for the trouble. I've never used Stacer, but it certainly appears to be the type of a program that will continuously be running in the background. And if it broke VLC when it was installed, it may well still be the cause of the ongoing problem with VLC.

So, let's try to determine if Stacer is running a background process. If so, then we can try to temporarily disable it and see if VLC then works correctly.

Open up a terminal (CTRL-ALT-T is a handy shortcut) and give these two commands separately. Let us know the output from each.
Code:
service --status-all | grep stacer
# and then the next one below
systemctl | grep stacer

Copy/pasting the commands above into the terminal is the best way to avoid any typing mistakes. :D

Maybe some other folks will jump in with other/better ideas too, but this seems like a logical first step with the details you gave us.

Cheers

Nice one, Stan, double thumbs up :)

@Ottmad , after you give @atanere the output he has asked for, I would ask of you the following:

Given that stacer is not in the Repositories for your Distro (distribution), you have downloaded it from elsewhere, and then installed it. Was that from SourceForge or from elsewhere?

If from SourceForge was it in the form of a .deb, or AppIMage?

But by all means, answer Stan first, that output will be handy.

Cheers

Wizard

I got Stacer thru the Software Manager. I found another app thru Software Manager that seems to work very well at converting videos called Curlew; with a little experimentation and the right settings it worked converting MKV to MP4. I think my problem is solved.
Thank you everyone.

I got Stacer thru the Software Manager

Aah, I see. Curious that it is in the Software Manager but not in Synaptic, I will have to check that out. I am always keen to learn something new :)

called Curlew; with a little experimentation and the right settings it worked converting MKV to MP4. I think my problem is solved.

Wonderful news, and thanks for sharing Curlew with us ;)

Wizard

I got Stacer thru the Software Manager. I found another app thru Software Manager that seems to work very well at converting videos called Curlew; with a little experimentation and the right settings it worked converting MKV to MP4. I think my problem is solved.
Thank you everyone.
Great that you have found a suitable workaround... well done! :D

I use Mint 18.3 (MATE) but I don't find Stacer in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager.... but no matter at this point. As you could probably tell from where I was going, if you later decide to uninstall Stacer (and if necessary uninstall and reinstall VLC again)... that might make VLC work properly.

Cheers

Members online

Latest posts