VirtualBox VM x86_64.iso OS scroll very jumpy

If you're not in the Linux machine, where did run that command in then? You're supposed to run that command in the host OS VBox is installed in, not in the guest, did you do that?. As for the screenshots, launch VBox - not the virtual machine - select the virtual machine and click in settings - the gear icon - in VBox main window, you should get something like this

VirtualBox_New_VM_System_Settings.PNG

Take some screenshots for general, system and display settings, then post them here.

Yes, I do. Honestly though, I only run a Windows 7 VM and not sure about trackpad scroll functioning. For Linux guests I prefer QEMU https://www.qemu.org/ which in my opinion is a lot better than VBox for running Linux. And again, you should consider asking in VBox forum https://forums.virtualbox.org/ as they are the people behind this software, and you should expect them to have far more knowledge on how the inner workings of their software than any of us here.
Ok, So this time i went into the Host Linux Machine (not VBox) and typed what you said into the CLI but got nothing returning so i re-did it using sudo and still nothing returned but VBox came on the GUI software package manager on the Host which is mintOS 20.1.

If i have confused you, i be clear, my host is linux mintOS 20.1 the same as the VBox guest OS im talking about.

If you're not in the Linux machine, where did run that command in then? You're supposed to run that command in the host OS VBox is installed in, not in the guest, did you do that?. As for the screenshots, launch VBox - not the virtual machine - select the virtual machine and click in settings - the gear icon - in VBox main window, you should get something like this

VirtualBox_New_VM_System_Settings.PNG

Take some screenshots for general, system and display settings, then post them here.

Yes, I do. Honestly though, I only run a Windows 7 VM and not sure about trackpad scroll functioning. For Linux guests I prefer QEMU https://www.qemu.org/ which in my opinion is a lot better than VBox for running Linux. And again, you should consider asking in VBox forum https://forums.virtualbox.org/ as they are the people behind this software, and you should expect them to have far more knowledge on the inner workings of their software than any of us here.
so does that mean i have been using VirtualBox all this time yet i dont have the VirtualBox kernel module is not loaded?

so does that mean i have been using VirtualBox all this time yet i dont have the VirtualBox kernel module is not loaded?
Yes. How did you install virtualbox? Did you download from virtualbox site or did you install from Mint's repos? In the host's terminal, run this
Code:
dpkg --list | grep virtualbox-dkms
If that returns nothing try this
Code:
dpkg --list | grep dkms
And paste the output in your reply.

Yes. How did you install virtualbox? Did you download from virtualbox site or did you install from Mint's repos? In the host's terminal, run this
Code:
dpkg --list | grep virtualbox-dkms
If that returns nothing try this
Code:
dpkg --list | grep dkms
And paste the output in your reply.
Ok, so i typed into Host CLI top command and i got result =
ii virtualbox-dkms
amd64 x86 virtualisation solution - kernel module sources for dkms

I no can copy and paste, i typed in responce above.

Ok, so i typed into Host CLI top command and i got result =
ii virtualbox-dkms
amd64 x86 virtualisation solution - kernel module sources for dkms
Well, according to that the kernel modules are installed. In the host's terminal run this
Code:
sudo apt --fix-broken install
Type in your password when asked and hit Enter. Paste any error output you get in your reply. How about those screenshots? It'd be helpful to see whether there are some settings that might need to be changed.

Well, according to that the kernel modules are installed. In the host's terminal run this
Code:
sudo apt --fix-broken install
Type in your password when asked and hit Enter. Paste any error output you get in your reply. How about those screenshots? It'd be helpful to see whether there are some settings that might need to be changed.
When i put in your command i just got that big list of commands come up so i cleared it and did your command as apt-get and that returned as normal done looking like there was nothing to be done sort of thing.

Yes i am trying to set up the Linux enough so i can dedicate an appropriate browser for this forum, as soon as i done that i shall be on linux with loads of screenshots hopefully available to do straight from the guest VM, appoligise for lack of simple screen shots as i know you trying to help very much. Thanks

There are a number of good videos on youtube showing how to install Virtualbox and VMs.
happy0035.gif

It seems OP is gone and that's a shame because it's not hard to run a VM, but some Linux Distros don't run very well in Virtualbox as they would on a spare HDD/SSD...Linux Mint Cinammon and MX Linux are two I know of.
sad0011.gif

Ram plays an important part, give enough to run the VM but never more than half your installed Ram. I have 16GB of physically installed Ram in my Tower and I gave my win 7 VM 6GB of Ram.
happy0034.gif

Does the OP know if the Host is Linux, you need to add yourself to the vbox user group...so Flash Drives and USB Printers will work in the VM. If you have a quad core CPU, you can give two cores to the VM. I also set video memory to 256MB but that's me ;) and my VM is 50GB on my 500GB SSD. I also have a Shared Folder, so I can transfer anything between Host and Guest.
happy0006.gif

All my lappy's are not happy with the tracpad. But if you use double fingers it scrolls smoother. If I am just turning on and updating, whether Mint, Peppermint or MX, I use pad. If I am actually doing things I use a mouse. On desk a regular mouse normally, and also have a little travel mouse. Have a Bluetooth Tracball but always forget to grab it.

I wouldn't run a VM on my Laptop because it's only got 4GB of Ram and has integrated graphics...also I only use it three times a year.
anim_64.gif

While this thread is a little old, it's among the very first results when searching for "Jumpy scrolling in VirtualBox," and the suggestions posted in here did indeed solve the issue. In short: Give the guest more resources.
I'm a new linux user and new to VMs. Running Nobara 36 as my host, with Windows 10 as the guest OS. Just needed to raise my available memory from 2GB to 4GB, and raise CPU cores from 1 to 2, and enable 3D acceleration, and (perhaps unsurprisingly) now everything in the guest runs better, including scrolling being much more smooth.

Staff online