VirtualBox as "Internal" Router/Firewall?

V

Videodrome

I'm researching this as a security experiment for a college related project. I would like to have VirtualBox running a system such as Pfsense, IPcop, OpenBSD, or some other good OS dedicated to security as a kind Super Firewall. I figure this should run in Bridged so the computer could work on a main network.

The second half of this I'm not quite sure how to do. I would want the Host to turn off the direct connection to the NIC card and instead connect to the Virtual Machine Firewall. This way the VM would be a big security buffer between the Host and the outside network. If it was hacked, than maybe the VM would be taken out which would cause the connection to the Host to be lost. Also, if the VM was compromised, it could be restored with a Snapshot.

I'm researching this as a security experiment for a college related project. I would like to have VirtualBox running a system such as Pfsense, IPcop, OpenBSD, or some other good OS dedicated to security as a kind Super Firewall. I figure this should run in Bridged so the computer could work on a main network.

The second half of this I'm not quite sure how to do. I would want the Host to turn off the direct connection to the NIC card and instead connect to the Virtual Machine Firewall. This way the VM would be a big security buffer between the Host and the outside network. If it was hacked, than maybe the VM would be taken out which would cause the connection to the Host to be lost. Also, if the VM was compromised, it could be restored with a Snapshot.

Are you saying you want a virtual machine to be the firewall for the physical host? I never thought of doing that. That is an interesting idea. Unfortunately, I do not know how to set up such a system. Good luck!

Yeah that's the idea. The Host would connect to the Virtual Router which would be bridged to the real NIC.

I think there is a way to create a Loopback Adapter, and I've been able to connect VirtualBox to this interface, but it's not quite working or I'm missing a step. I'm able to install Pfsense, but I can't get to the Web GUI console.

Last edited:
Google this: protect-your-windows-laptop-with-pfsense-and-virtualbox-part-1-preamble

Members online

Latest posts