Virtual Router advice.

Oroshi

Reaction score
Credits
Hi folk,

I am still working on extension and it nearly finish thank God for that lol.

We have left virgin media, because it too expensive and always having problem. So I grab mobile broadband with 12 months contract.

The MiFi device only limited 10 connection. In this house hold for more than 10 devices.

What I am intentionally to do is, setting up a virtual Router on my raspberry pi 4 which is always on.. so I can get all the device to connect to my Asus triband router (set as AP) so the pi can manage the IP load etc. And the pi 4 sent to MiFi to transmitting the data to prevent from increase the connection limited. Is this possible?

My Asus router won't connect wirelessly and act as a 2nd router. I read on google about virtual Router that bypass from the connection limt.

If you know any, could you point the right direction so I can set up to prevent from the connection limt. Such as configuration and the correct software (reailable preferred).

Much appreciated for your advice.

Can't you just buy secondary router and stick it in one of the LAN ports and then connect to the wifi on the secondary router. That's how I have my setup at home, I have my ISP router setup in bridge mode with my secondary router plugged into the first lan port of my ISP router and it's plugged into the internet port of my secondary router. That way all my local systems connect either through LAN or WLAN on my secondary router.

Can't you just buy secondary router and stick it in one of the LAN ports and then connect to the wifi on the secondary router.

The router does not have Lan port. Just micro usb for charging the MiFi. That the problem. I am trying to setting up access point unfortunately, this will not bypass the connection limited. If it got LAN port then yes I would hook up my Asus router with MiFi.

The router does not have Lan port. Just micro usb for charging the MiFi. That the problem. I am trying to setting up access point unfortunately, this will not bypass the connection limited. If it got LAN port then yes I would hook up my Asus router with MiFi.
I see didn't get that part. So you have an access point that you can only connect to wireless and that device has a connection limit. You are trying to figure out if you can bridge that connection wireless to a secondary device which then has the option to distribute the the connection through wifi to the other devices in your house?

If you buy a secondary router that supports DD-WRT you could get it to work at the looks of this article.

Oh yeah I heard DD-WRT! Completely forgot about that.. surely I'll have a look and flash on my Asus router to see if I can manage to get run Asus as a router and access MiFi wirelessly to transmitting the data without increasing the connection limit.

Also I think if you are able to connect a raspberry pi to a wireless connection and are able to plug in something that sends a signal in the lan port of the raspberry pi that it should be possible to some how with dhcp, forwarding and iptables rules to have the raspberry pi setup as access point using another wireless connection. I don't have any experience with this just talking theoretically, my router at home runs on DD-WRT so that's the only part I have some experience with. So be sure to post your experiences it trying to get the setup to work and good luck trying to get it to work!

Just had a read on article, but nothing mention about bypassing the connection limit from the MiFi.... Will have a play around over the weekend, tonight just want to relax and watch seriss as I have been busy all weeks doing decoration the hallway.

Also I think if you are able to connect a raspberry pi to a wireless connection and are able to plug in something that sends a signal in the lan port of the raspberry pi that it should be possible to some how with dhcp, forwarding and iptables rules to have the raspberry pi setup as access point using another wireless connection. I don't have any experience with this just talking theoretically, my router at home runs on DD-WRT so that's the only part I have some experience with. So be sure to post your experiences it trying to get the setup to work and good luck trying to get it to work!

Yes something like that to stop MiFi counting other device and maxed out of connection, all devices are over 10 of them so MiFi maxed out easily. Will tried those options to see if I can get around with stupid connection limited. Cheers

Just had a read on article, but nothing mention about bypassing the connection limit from the MiFi.... Will have a play around over the weekend, tonight just want to relax and watch seriss as I have been busy all weeks doing decoration the hallway.
If you connect your secondary router with DD-WRT to the Mifi router, doesn't that count as one connection? After which you could connect your other devices to the router with DD-WRT? Do you have any idea how the MIFI router counts connections?

Hi,

I had DD-WRT installed on my Asus RT-AC3200 which had successful. But I am unable to get my Asus router to connect to MiFi to act second router and bypassing the limit connection (10 connected device). Also DD-WRT change my Asus port. It should be lan port 1,2,3,4 and WAN. But DD-WRT set Lan port 1 as WAN 4,3,2 and WAN as 1 wtf! Lol. I restore back to original Asus firmware and try to work around with WDS, the MiFi isn't talking back.

It so annoying...

I think I may have to try to put Asus router as AP wired up with my raspberry pi 4 to act as a router and connect to MiFi as wirelessly to transmitting the internet... Is that possible?

I see a mobile router cost over £300 for that!! Trying to minimise the cost lmao..

Any solution would be appreciate.

Cheers mate.

I am not getting any luck..

Mifii (mobile broadband, only usb port for Keep power on, so no LAN ports) and it only allows up to 10 device connection via WiFi.

What I am actually trying to bypass the limitations of connection.

[MiFi] .))) (((. [raspberry pi] act as 2nd router === [Asus AP] .))) Other connected devices.

Key: .))) Is wireless
=== Is Ethernet.

Is that possible to make MiFi think there is only one connection by raspberry pi. Then more than 10 devices connected to Asus AP? If that possible, what the right way to setup.

My Asus router/AP cannot connect MiFi by WiFi to acts as 2nd router as there is no option to connect WiFi mode, only AP but must use by wired. So I try use alternative way.

I hope this makes more sense?

Members online

Latest posts