Virtual Box Guest additions

CptCharis

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everybody!!!

Can somebody explain to me why I can't install Guest additions in my VB?
I couldn't do on my old laptop and I can't also do on the new one.
I couldn't do on Linux distributions (hosts) I can't also do on Windows.

What am I doing wrong??
Capture.PNG

It looks like it can't mount the .iso.

Looking here at Chapter 4 of Guest Additions: Under Linux 4.2.2
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

It says that
The following Linux distributions are officially supported:
  • Oracle Linux as of version 5, including UEK kernels
  • Fedora as of Fedora Core 4
  • Redhat Enterprise Linux as of version 3
  • SUSE and openSUSE Linux as of version 9
  • Ubuntu as of version 5.10

If you are running any other distro other than what's supported maybe that's why it's not working.

I hope that Chapter 4 is helpful for you.
Aside from that I'm not sure what else you could try.

Thanks a lot @Alexzee, I didn’t know that I would try one of supported distros and I will revert .

Hey Captain! The supported distros may be the easy way, as @Alexzee posted. But I know you are an Arch fan, and they have a VirtualBox Wiki that may help, if you can follow along. I have a hard time following their wikis and documentation myself, and that page looks pretty intense. Good luck!

Cheers

My dear friend @atanere ,
First of all I would like to thank you for your prompt response to almost all of my questions ( and they are many of them:) ).
It’s really interesting that both of my laptops and both really supported OS like Mint and windows can not install Guest Addition and actually the same exact error has been produced.
Making some thoughts I am wondering if lack of a physical CD slot on both machines is really the reason. (But I don’t think so).
Further more googling around the documentation is pretty poor on this matter . Whatever I found is a clear install (successful) installation of Guests Addition or the suggested solutions are not working for me.

Members online