video freeze

acrom

Reaction score
Credits
I have the latest Firefox and mint 20.3 when watching a youtube video the video freezes for a couple of seconds every few minutes. I can hear the audio but the vision freezes its most annoying has anyone any idea ? there does not seem to be any logical reason and its only started doing this in the last couple of months

G'day acrom, Welcome to Linux.org

This could be extension related.
Try disabling all your extensions (addons) in Firefox and then play a video again

If the freezing stops then one of the add ons is the problem. Re enable them one by one to figure out which one.

If that brings you no joy, try another browser

The easiest one to try is Chromium. It is located in the Software Manager. Install it from there, and try it out.

Let us know how you get on.

Another option is just yt-dlp and watch it on your own player. That's what I do because I hate YT's web app and I can seek more easily on MPV -- amongst other things. Personally, I've never had issues with Firefox (or TorBB -- when I can actually get past the Captchas -- or Librewolf), Brave, or even Falkon.
That said, in Firefox, try disabling hardware acceleration. Just uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" in settings (Searching "hardware" in settings should find it).

Staff online

Members online