VFIO: Windows Guest: Which devices to pass through?

oguruma

Reaction score
Credits
I want to use virt-manger for a Windows VM (Zorin host) to get as close as possible to native performance.

I'm following this guide.

The guide references passing in the GPU and an nVME drive, which makes sense, but it also says to pass in a USB controller. Why would one want to pass in a USB hub? Is it just for the obvious things like installing the OS, itself?

Maybe I am misunderstanding but isn't this just to give you access to USB devices within your virtual machine?

Maybe I am misunderstanding but isn't this just to give you access to USB devices within your virtual machine?
Yes, but as I understand it, if I give the entire controller to the Windows VM via vfio, then I can't use it on the host. Can't I pass individual devices over to the VM without using vfio?

Yes, but as I understand it, if I give the entire controller to the Windows VM via vfio, then I can't use it on the host. Can't I pass individual devices over to the VM without using vfio?

I would've thought you can change these options before each boot of the VM anyway no?

I have only used virtualbox and VMware and I don't think I got USB to work! :D

Members online