very new and transitioning to linux need help installing a distribution.

Luintothis21

Reaction score
Credits
I need some walkthrough how to install pop os I have pop is in a ssd with pop os iso.
Read online it's a easy introduction to learn Linux.

I need help online I got it to boot my ssd with pop os ready to do live session or install. I have a external SSD that I wish to run pop os on it. My question is do I need to duel boot because I have w10 installed. Will just partitioning my external SSD with pop os be ok without dual booting. Is their anything that I am missing with out dual booting w and pop?

Is it a laptop you have or tower.

Can you give us any details on specs

How many internal hard drives do you have on your PC

How much room do you have on your PC hard drive?

Your going for pop os because ...

pop seems to have become popular lately, but it is not the simplest to install, it is developed by System 76 for use on their own manufacture of Business laptops and desktops and therefore leans towards the components they use, so expect to do a bit of work to get it on to a regular machine and get it working properly .

Here is a page that gives step by step instructions. But brickwizard's warnings are still important to remember. Good luck

I have a external SSD that I wish to run pop os on it.
ok BTB [back to basics] switch off your machine and connect your external drive as you switch on jiggle whichever key will open the Bios , look in the drives section to make sure it is recognised, if it is exit bios without changing and switch off, now in a spare usb plug in your ISO pendrive, switch on this time jiggling whichever key , to bring up the short boot menu, now be careful, the boot menu should include your Hard drive, your usb pendrive, your usb external drive and if it has one the DVD drive, write down what the external drive is described as [to make it easier later ] now select the pendrive and enter, Now on most distributions of Linux it will load to ram as a live install [but some skip this and go direct to full install, sorry it been a long time and i dont remember which pop dose] but either way when you go for the full install you should be given the option of wiping windows and installing linux on your main drive, to duel boot with windows on your main drive or select the ext drive, obviously select the ext drive and let it load, ...I have half a dozen or so drives which I can connect externally for testing out various builds of linux and this is the way I have always done it.

Bwiz

Is it a laptop you have or tower.

Can you give us any details on specs

How many internal hard drives do you have on your PC

How much room do you have on your PC hard drive?

Your going for pop os because ...
Running a desktop with w10 looking to not dual boot and run linux pop os externally on a Samsung t5.

Staff online

Members online