Version 18.2 driver problems.

You can get old versions of HPLIP here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/files/hplip/

One last thing... I notice you NEVER refer to the Printer app in Linux Mint, while I have mentioned it several times. I just want to make sure you are checking that app too, and especially regarding the wireless configuration. I'm pretty sure it will be required for wireless setup.

At present, no idea on Mint 18.3. They may have a schedule posted, but I haven't looked.

Oh I figured out why the printer worked with the old version of 18.1

And I'm a bit confused by this... your first post said you were using Mint 18.2 and the printer worked. The conversation turned to 18.1 because of the HPLIP website not specifying that it tested up to date with 18.2.

OOOPS typo. I meant to type 18.2 definately not 18.1. It did work with both until I reinstalled and am unable to obtain any version of the HPLIP except the 3.17.7. Sorry about my lousy typing.

OOOPS typo. I meant to type 18.2 definately not 18.1. It did work with both until I reinstalled and am unable to obtain any version of the HPLIP except the 3.17.7. Sorry about my lousy typing.
Why is that, by the way? Why do you poffer only that one version of HPLIP?

If you choose to use an older HPLIP, I would go back and follow @Rob's advice about doing a full uninstall of your current HPLIP first. Also, the older versions are supplied as .run files. You'll have to use the terminal to make that install... here are some instructions about doing that.

Okay, no problem... I just want to try to follow correctly. Either Mint should work, in my mind anyway. But if the printer doesn't come up "plug-and-play" like mine... then you have to use the Printer app to tell Mint to look for it. The driver should be built in because the HPLIP version is newer (than the minimum your printer needs).

Opening your start menu gives a search box with the cursor already there... start typing Printers and it will pull up the Printer app and just hit Enter to launch it. Have you been using this?

Why is that, by the way? Why do you offer only that one version of HPLIP?

Not me. That is HPLIP's newest version, so that's what they offer. I gave you their link to older versions if that is what you want to try.

Linux Mint 18.2 is not using that newest version of HPLIP, as I mentioned previously. I don't know about Mint 18.1 -- it could be the same as 18.2, or it could be a bit earlier.

Okay, no problem... I just want to try to follow correctly. Either Mint should work, in my mind anyway. But if the printer doesn't come up "plug-and-play" like mine... then you have to use the Printer app to tell Mint to look for it. The driver should be built in because the HPLIP version is newer (than the minimum your printer needs).

Opening your start menu gives a search box with the cursor already there... start typing Printers and it will pull up the Printer app and just hit Enter to launch it. Have you been using this?
You,Sir, are a genius. That one worked! I now have a printer AND linux 18.2.

Ah, I'm so glad you got it going! :D:D

Some problems are really complicated, and some are really simple... but it can be hard to tell which is which sometimes. Thanks for hanging in there with me too! We all gain from the experience.

Cheers

Members online