Vacancy at DistroWatch?

Reaction score
Credits
In the summary of each disto, there is support information and help links. One of the listings is "Alternate User Forums". For as long as I can remember, it used to be Linux Questions, but lately, on every listing now days, there is no "alternate" listing.

Would it be worth the effort so see if linux.org could take that spot?

Just thinking it might be another way to promote linux.org.

vacancy.png

It'd be neat to be in that slot, though I'm a mere user and I'd suggest that this is well above my pay grade.

WOW! That was fast. I already got an answer:

"The reason we used to use Linux Questions is some distributions either used it as their main forums or LQ had specific areas set aside for each distro. It's sort of fallen out of favour, but it's still the main forum for some older projects like Slackware.

These days the alternative forum field is basically used for any officially recognized forum that isn't self hosted. Some projects specifically use Reddit, for example, instead of hosting their own user forum.

Linux.org doesn't seem to fall into either of these categories - having strong distro-specific areas or official recognition from distribution developers. Though if any add Linux.org as their official forum we'd certainly link to it."

So, that's the story.

It was a good idea when I thought of it. ;)

We do have some distro devs here and we're technically recognized as *a* support channel (formally so, 'cause I added it) for Lubuntu.

@KGIII I have seen the Peppermint posts here recently, and I know they don't have a forum anymore. They're now on either github or sourceforge...I can't remember. That alone will turn away newbies...those sites can be a bit intimidating for someone new to Linux.

I strongly suspect (in fact, I think I may have asked our Dear Leader before) that distro makers can ask for a sub-forum of their own and even moderate their own sub-forum.

If I didn't ask, I meant to and then got drunk and forgot to ask. Alternatively, I was already intoxicated when I thought of it and figured I'd ask when I was sober enough to form complete sentences - and then never got to it.

If I didn't ask, I meant to and then got drunk and forgot to ask. Alternatively, I was already intoxicated when I thought of it and figured I'd ask when I was sober enough to form complete sentences - and then never got to it.
That's funny. :p :D

It's good to know I'm not the only one who drinks to excess. :p :D

It's good to know I'm not the only one who drinks to excess.

I have a set limit before I no longer post comments. As tempting as it might be, I no longer comment once I get too tipsy. I usually don't get too tipsy unless I day-drink. I normally only have a glass or three of wine starting with dinner - or dinner prep, to be more exact. (I do most of the cooking 'cause I enjoy it.)

So, while I do imbibe, it's seldom 'too much'. Catch me on a day when I started sipping rum at noon... That's when I end up leaving the computer mostly alone. See, I can type perfectly fine while drunk. In case it's not clear, that's a very, very horrible skill to have. So, I stop posting after a set point of inebriation.

In the summary of each disto, there is support information and help links. One of the listings is "Alternate User Forums". For as long as I can remember, it used to be Linux Questions, but lately, on every listing now days, there is no "alternate" listing.

Would it be worth the effort so see if linux.org could take that spot?

Just thinking it might be another way to promote linux.org.

View attachment 13021

That's a great idea. When I search "Linux" this site is #1 in the search results anyway.

WOW! That was fast. I already got an answer:

"The reason we used to use Linux Questions is some distributions either used it as their main forums or LQ had specific areas set aside for each distro. It's sort of fallen out of favour, but it's still the main forum for some older projects like Slackware.

These days the alternative forum field is basically used for any officially recognized forum that isn't self hosted. Some projects specifically use Reddit, for example, instead of hosting their own user forum.

Linux.org doesn't seem to fall into either of these categories - having strong distro-specific areas or official recognition from distribution developers. Though if any add Linux.org as their official forum we'd certainly link to it."

So, that's the story.

It was a good idea when I thought of it. ;)

Thanks for checking. Was worth a try.

Members online