Using Old Ubuntu Versions & Security Risks

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
Is someone were to stick w/ an old Ubuntu Version like (4.10-15.10) would that person be @ risk of security threats or would would that person still be secure?

I take it that is 14.10 not 4.10 Eddie Paul?

They might be very insecure. Some of it depends on your own personal practices, but you would also be using old kernels, while kernels more advanced have since had bug fixes, security enhancements and hardware support built into them. You might face incompatibilities with trying to update the kernels.

If you were to go to the 14's go to 14.04 as it is LTS, but it still expires April 2019.

Why bother?

Wizard

Why bother indeed ....As far as i can see the only uptick for using old versions is the pleasant experience of doing an upgrade when it eventually runs out of LTS....(not !)

Obviously.....if the version you are contemplating using is beyond the LTS.......why would you ?

It is not as if any of the common Linux/Ubuntu have any dramas such as windows does with each and every update/upgrade.......So I am unable to justify not getting the latest incantation of Ubuntu/linux whatever.

I won't use old versions, I'd just thought I'd ask what would happen If I were to use older versions. I still have 18.10 & I plan to upgrade to 19.04 Disco Dingo once it's released.

Members online