using old HDD as external drive with windows on linux OS

Ivaylo

Reaction score
Credits
Hello guys, I do need your opinion regarding my plan to convert completely to linux my pc.
I will introduce you what I'm planning to do and what will be my question.
I'm planning to take a new SSD for my laptop and to install OS linux, But I'm wondering if my old HDD could be used as an external drive from where I can use my Windows 10. Actually how I do imagine this: On the new SSD to have linux and if I need to use some of the adobe products that not working under linux to connect my old HDD and to start windows 10 that I have right now and to use what I need from there.Is this possible? Does someone try this before and what is the effect? Does work properly? In general there will be no change because the machine is the same so the Windows should recognise all the resources of the machine, but I never try that and not sure if it will work. So please give me your opinions. Thank you.

Installing Linux to your new SSD should be pretty straight forward.
Once the installation is finished your pc should boot right into Linux.

For your old HDD with Windows on it you could put it in an enclosure and follow these instructions.

I'm sure we have members here that are running Windows 10 that can offer you other advise as well so you could wait to see what their opinions are too.

What make and model laptop do you have?

Thank you for that solution I will try that,but first would like to see if I can just start the HDD from usb and boot it from there will save me more hassle, why I think this: Because this HDD with this windows coming out from the same machine configuration system and should not be any trouble, but never know that's why I'm collecting opinions. The machine is Dell inspiron i5 processor old one just 2 core 2.4Ghz and just upgrade it to 16GB of RAM, now waiting on the SSD to arrive and will try all the options as possible. I had enough for windows but I can't use Lightroom on UBUNTU I need it for my photographs. And I will be one of the new guys learning UBUNTU :)

Last edited:
I will try that,but first would like to see if I can just start the HDD from usb and boot it from there will save me more hassle, why I think this: Because this HDD with this windows coming out from the same machine configuration system and should not be any trouble, but never know that's why I'm collecting opinions.
One difference you are not recognizing is this: Your HDD Windows "thinks" it is running on bare metal inside a computer and transferring data on the SATA bus. When you put it on a USB bus as an external, I think it will fail to boot. But try it! I've been wrong about many things, and I'm sure I am not finished yet! :oops:

Google searching seems to show mostly that you need to install Windows into an external drive (or USB flash drive) using special tools, as @Alexzee's link shows. A fresh full Windows install to external is not what you want, I know, but it may be the only way to meet your stated goal.

You don't say how big the HDD or new SSD are, but you might consider cloning your Windows to SSD first, then install Ubuntu as a dual boot system. Then just use the HDD as storage, or perhaps use it to install other Linux distros to experiment. Linux should install on external USB without much trouble.

Thank you for your opinion, I will try hope will work if not will try so solution for Windows to go. I don't want windows anymore at all, just have to use only for one program. Or as a friend said 25 years ago when I told him I have problem with the pc:
"Why you complaining about your PC?"
Because working slowly with the new windows 95...
"Why did you put a virus in your PC in first place?" :p
So the solution with Windows on SSD and Linux as a dual boot system is not a solution for me

Let us know how it works out for you. Good luck!

Thank you for that solution I will try that,but first would like to see if I can just start the HDD from usb and boot it from there will save me more hassle, why I think this: Because this HDD with this windows coming out from the same machine configuration system and should not be any trouble, but never know that's why I'm collecting opinions. The machine is Dell inspiron i5 processor old one just 2 core 2.4Ghz and just upgrade it to 16GB of RAM, now waiting on the SSD to arrive and will try all the options as possible. I had enough for windows but I can't use Lightroom on UBUNTU I need it for my photographs. And I will be one of the new guys learning UBUNTU :)
I think you will be able to boot your HDD but not without a boot manager.

Try the link I posted for you.

Have a good weekend.

Thank you, I think this is the best solution for now and you are right I will try that. was so easy in the old days when all was under DOS and all have to be boot from external drive. :D

Hello guys, I do need your opinion regarding my plan to convert completely to linux my pc.
I will introduce you what I'm planning to do and what will be my question.
I'm planning to take a new SSD for my laptop and to install OS linux, But I'm wondering if my old HDD could be used as an external drive from where I can use my Windows 10. Actually how I do imagine this: On the new SSD to have linux and if I need to use some of the adobe products that not working under linux to connect my old HDD and to start windows 10 that I have right now and to use what I need from there.Is this possible? Does someone try this before and what is the effect? Does work properly? In general there will be no change because the machine is the same so the Windows should recognise all the resources of the machine, but I never try that and not sure if it will work. So please give me your opinions. Thank you.

early on this year [Feb2020] when I switched to linux as my main and only OS I put my home directory on a 2.5" 250gb hard drive in an external case needless to say the hdd crashed and I lost years of files and of course the other 250gb flash drive I had my timeshift on crashed also so I split my 500gb nvme ssd and haven't had issues since thank the Lord. Moral starting out don't be fancy and don't use old hardware if you can help it

Thank you for sharing your experience MrBlack. What was the reason HDD to crash so bad? Electric shock, resources bad quality of bus? Could you share the reason will be very useful.

Thank you for sharing your experience MrBlack. What was the reason HDD to crash so bad? Electric shock, resources bad quality of bus? Could you share the reason will be very useful.

I think it was a power surge or the constant that destroyed the 2.5" external age of the hdd could've been a a factor also and the Sandisk flash drive it was just over worked as I had timeshift set to hourly backup and daily backups too.

Another factor could have been my inexperience as I was I windows power user and switched to LM then I switched to LMDE4 because I didn't want to deal with the microsoft of linux world shhh lol.

Everything work fine now very happy I just a user now but I seen you post and figured I share.
hope things work out :)

Thank you I will let you know here if all working well and what actually happened. Still waiting on the SSD to arrive and that's why trying to collect as much as possible opinions here. I can see many people move to linux :rolleyes: I will be the next one too :D

Hello guys, all working perfect and exactly as I was imagine :D just plug the HDD on and boot is form there - because this HDD come out from this system the machine recognize it with no problem I think the reason is because the USB ports are powerful and as you can see from the pic SSD is in the place of HDD and the power-charge go to the USB ports and is connect with USB cable :D
Second thing is I will probably never ever go back to Windows - Ubuntu is amazing I will probably meet you here for more education about this software thank you all :D

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_145126872.jpg
    IMG_20201005_145126872.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 388
Hello guys, all working perfect and exactly as I was imagine :D just plug the HDD on and boot is form there - because this HDD come out from this system the machine recognize it with no problem I think the reason is because the USB ports are powerful and as you can see from the pic SSD is in the place of HDD and the power-charge go to the USB ports and is connect with USB cable :D
Second thing is I will probably never ever go back to Windows - Ubuntu is amazing I will probably meet you here for more education about this software thank you all :D
Glad to hear everything is working well.

If you think Ubuntu is amazing you should try Debian 10 Buster.
It's rock solid stable.

Have a great week ahead.

Cheers,

Alex

Glad to hear everything is working well.

If you think Ubuntu is amazing you should try Debian 10 Buster.
It's rock solid stable.

Have a great week ahead.

Cheers,

Alex
Thank you for the advice, but I think first to learn this a bit and then try different if I need. Just notice that Firefox can't operate long time open webpage, start slowing down and eat a lot of RAM don't make sense for me but when I restart working normal :confused: depending how long... lol

Thank you for the advice, but I think first to learn this a bit and then try different if I need. Just notice that Firefox can't operate long time open webpage, start slowing down and eat a lot of RAM don't make sense for me but when I restart working normal :confused: depending how long... lol
You're welcome-:)

How much RAM does your laptop have?

You're welcome-:)

How much RAM does your laptop have?
16GB of Ram 2 core i5 processor 2.4Ghz
Last time what I was seen was 12 GB of RAM in use :oops: and I was surprised I had youtube open next tabs was some info pages probably 3-4 of them and Facebook - I think facebook was the problem, but even the youtube could be too because I have sign with google account on it

Last edited:
16GB of Ram 2 core i5 processor 2.4Ghz
Last time what I was seen was 12 GB of RAM in use :oops: and I was surprised I had youtube open next tabs was some info pages probably 3-4 of them and Facebook - I think facebook was the problem, but even the youtube could be too because I have sign with google account on it
16 GB should be sufficient.

I'm not sure what may be causing Firefox to lag.
KDE is a RAM hog!

Are you using the KDE desktop?

16 GB should be sufficient.

I'm not sure what may be causing Firefox to lag.
KDE is a RAM hog!

Are you using the KDE desktop?
It's more then enough I think.
No, I don't use it. Do you think I should use it?

It's more then enough I think.
No, I don't use it. Do you think I should use it?
No, I wouldn't use it.

Enjoy your Ubuntu system-:)

Members online