Using Linux with Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt mobo

E

EdN

I just bought an Asus P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt motherboard and in the User Guide it says:
"ASUS Motherboard SATA Mode Notice
The SATA ports of this motherboard is configured to AHCI mode by default to enhance the SATA performance.
Operating Systems not running on Microsoft Windows will not support devices such as the optical disk drives. Please use compatible operation system for fully hardware support."
I have no idea what this is all about, but does this only apply if you use the default AHCI mode? Should I set the SATA mode to IDE?
I have not installed the motherboard yet because I want to make sure it will work with Linux first. If not I'll return it.
Anybody out there using the same motherboard having any problems?

I'm currently running 12.04 LTS on a new build: P8z77-V, 3770k, blah blah blah. I noticed the same issue stated within the User Guide and threw the dice. Honestly, I don't think this board cares much for Linux. Even after 3 wipes followed by 3 fresh installs of 3 seperate downloads, I can only boot up in "Recovery Mode" and following the prompts within. Only takes a couple of mouse clicks and it boots just fine, everything seemingly running like it grew there.

Of course, Windows 7 Ultimate loaded without a hitch, all software, proprietary and ancillary running just fine on another drive. LOL.

As for your specific question, I've set the SATA Controller to AHCI and my opticals are running seemingly fine under 12.04 LTS.

Members online