Using Linux to access Avaya devices over the internet

Ken hurd

Reaction score
Credits
I am switching over to linux from Windows but need to access Avaya devices via SSH and HTTPS. when I try to connect I get the message Port 22 is already occupied on entire loopback range. Is there a way to change this?

Adding more info in case someone is savvy with Linux networking.

the software I use to access Avaya system remotely relies on ssh connections that open port 22 or 443,7443 or 8443 as well as 80 from a web GUI and with this I can create tunnels and connections to multiple devices/servers, virtual machines. I should also mention that Java is used in this process. Using Windows I have no issues and when I try to make a connection and port 22 for instance is being used by another application i will get the very message I stated in my previous post and i then have to switch to a different one like 10000, etc. In Linux it seems that SSH(port 22) is being used by some internal process and researching I thought I could just change the port by editing the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and changing it to a different port and then restarting but that didn't work. I am also not able to tunnel using putty, and to top all this off the putty version for linux i installed in my linux mint 19 does not have nayt option to change settings on the fly or while i am using a connection. I know this is a lot but I am really looking to get away from windows and go completely Linux and once i get past this issue I will have everything i need to do that.

G'day @Ken hurd and welcome to linux.org :)

I am moving this Thread to Networking where it may draw the attention you seek.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Adding more info in case someone is savvy with Linux networking.

the software I use to access Avaya system remotely relies on ssh connections that open port 22 or 443,7443 or 8443 as well as 80 from a web GUI and with this I can create tunnels and connections to multiple devices/servers, virtual machines. I should also mention that Java is used in this process. Using Windows I have no issues and when I try to make a connection and port 22 for instance is being used by another application i will get the very message I stated in my previous post and i then have to switch to a different one like 10000, etc. In Linux it seems that SSH(port 22) is being used by some internal process and researching I thought I could just change the port by editing the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file and changing it to a different port and then restarting but that didn't work. I am also not able to tunnel using putty, and to top all this off the putty version for linux i installed in my linux mint 19 does not have nayt option to change settings on the fly or while i am using a connection. I know this is a lot but I am really looking to get away from windows and go completely Linux and once i get past this issue I will have everything i need to do that.

I know nothing about Avaya systems but I have numerous Raspberry Pi systems running on my network
and I can remotely access them easily from Windows or Linux ....
....so this info may be helpful , or totally useless ... :)

Once I have a system running well ( eg Kodi , Pihole ) , I get off port 22 asap , not least for security reasons .
( An internet-facing Pi on port 22 is an easy target for any miscreants that may be sniffing for open ports ) .

Note : I've made up the digits I use in these examples , but the general form is this
From a Linux terminal , I run
Code:
ssh [email protected] -p 25574
type in the password when prompted ..... and I'm in .
( The -p switch is specifying the port that I have previously chosen on the Pi )

I've never tried PuTTY on a Linux box , but on Windows I would do this -
Make a new entry in PuTTY and put 191.155.1.88 and 25574 into the relevant boxes ( IP and Port )

Click "Load " then click "Open" , and it works like a charm ..... maybe I'm just lucky

Just a last-minute thought ..... Might your firewall settings be blocking the connection ?

I appreciate the quick reply. In the Avaya world we use putty to connect after creating a socket via port 22,443,etc. Putty also allow me to make tunnel connections but in linux the putty is limited in what i can do and the ports I mentioned will not connect and just fail. I can use other ports but those are not the ones that avaya requires to make the connections. Might be something I have to live with.

Staff online