Using Foremost

Reaction score
Credits
I was very excited when I found this excellent article about using foremost to scan for files: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-recover-deleted-files-with-foremost-on-linux.

I had LinuxMint on an old Dell from a friend, and the harddrive got messed up and the computer was stuck somewhere in the boot process. I tried to remember to backup my files but didn’t have any automatic process for it, so had a number of documents on the desktop I lost.

My friend was able to recover a "Lost and Found’ folder from the harddrive, and wiped and re-installed Mint on the Dell so I could use it again. He put the “Lost and Found” folder on the desktop. I tried looking through it, and was bummed because I couldn’t tell if there were any actual files in there or not. There was so much in there it would have taken me hours and hours to look through it all. I also wondered if any files were in fragments and could be repaired?

After some searching, I found the article about foremost, and thought it sounded like the perfect thing to use to scan the Lost and Found folder to see if there are any files I can recover from it. But when I tried installing and using foremost as per the instructions in the article, I couldn’t make it work.

I have the "Lost and Found’ folder currently on the desktop of the computer, so I thought I could type the pathway to that file folder in for foremost to scan (I used the command $ sudo foremost -i XXX — putting the filepath for the folder where the X’s are), but it didn’t work and the whole process froze and I had to force quit. Should I put the folder on a thumbdrive and specify the filepath to that USB drive? Trying so hard to recover whatever files I may have lost!

Thanks so much for your help!!

Members online

Latest posts