Using/Creating a custom preseed.cfg file.

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :)
So, I've been reading here https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Preseed and still confused on how this exactly works. What I'd like to do is create a custom preseed.cfg file to include in a netinstall.iso, so it installs all the pkgs I want. In my research I came across this, too https://gist.github.com/kgrvamsi/7b7368f122131d82513923398921530e
Using that as an example, I created this:
Code:
### Package selection
tasksel tasksel/first multiselect

# Or choose to not get the tasksel dialog displayed at all (and don't install
# any packages):
#d-i pkgsel/run_tasksel boolean false

# Individual additional packages to install
d-i pkgsel/include string aria2 ncdu xfce4 lightdm \
slick-greeter qt5ct ncdu cmus libnotify-bin claws-mail \
xorg xfmw-breeze-theme menulibre breeze ark network-manager-gnome \
claws-mail-multi-notifier policykit-1-gnome gwenview konsole dolphin \
okular kate okular-extra-backends fonts-freefont-ttf fonts-hack-ttf \
ffmpegthumbs kio-extras xscreensaver partitionmanager xcape gnome-system-tools \
curl csvkit gstreamer1.0-nice gstreamer1.0-pipewire gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad \
gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly \
gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio libqt5multimedia5-plugins timeshift xfce4-power-manager \
conky-all mpv xfce4-clipman xfce4-clipman-plugin
And in case you wonder why, instead of just using tasksel to let do that for me, it's becasue it will install additional stuff I don't want or need, and by doing so, some things will be tedious to remove (like firefox-esr). Also, yes I'm aware I could just install the bare bones (no X) and use apt to install those, but if it's possible to do it by using/modifying this file, I'd like to give it a go.
So, if I do recreate/remaster the netinstall.iso, and include that file, will it do what I think it will? Install only those pkgs listed there? Or do I need to modify something else? I only posted that part because the file is quite long, besides I didn't modify anything else, but if you need to see it, I can post the whole thing. :)

Members online