Using Chromecast on Ubuntu

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
I know I saw somewhere online about adding a few rules to the firewall to get Chromecast to work on Ubuntu but I don't remember where I saw it @. Can you guys help me find it & help me get my Chromecast to work please?

Hi @Eddie Paul Litz - I have just posted to your thread on login problems, I believe we should get that under control first, and then look at this issue, but if someone else has a differing opinion, then by all means go with them :p

Do you have your firewall enabled? If you are not sure then at Terminal, type and enter

Code:
sudo ufw status

If it is not, then

Code:
sudo ufw enable

will activate it straight away and a small script will run each time you boot/reboot to keep you secure.

When you type in your password at the sudo point there is no movement (security).

Cheers

Wizard

Hi @Eddie Paul Litz - I have just posted to your thread on login problems, I believe we should get that under control first, and then look at this issue, but if someone else has a differing opinion, then by all means go with them :p

Do you have your firewall enabled? If you are not sure then at Terminal, type and enter

Code:
sudo ufw status

If it is not, then

Code:
sudo ufw enable

will activate it straight away and a small script will run each time you boot/reboot to keep you secure.

When you type in your password at the sudo point there is no movement (security).

Cheers

Wizard

It's showing "Firewall is active and enabled on system startup"

Does that mean I need to reboot for it to be Active?

No, it activated in real time, that is, for the rest of the session you are/were in, and for the future.

Cheers

Wizard

EDIT - just to add - if you type in and enter

Code:
sudo ufw status
... you'll find it says active

If your ubuntu is like Mint you will find access to your Firewall settings in the GUI menu.

If your ubuntu is like Mint you will find access to your Firewall settings in the GUI menu.

Mint is based on Ubuntu, but there are big differences between the Desktop Environments (DE's). Eddie is using the standard Gnome Desktop, and having just installed that myself I cannot find any GUI access to the firewall.Yet, UFW is there and can be enabled from the command line as @wizardfromoz showed. That is weird, but I've gone through the Settings pretty carefully. It may be that the Ubuntu MATE (and other editions) would show the UFW Firewall in the GUI Settings.

[EDIT] The GUI interface can be added easily like this:
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install gufw

Cheers

That is weird, but I've gone through the Settings pretty carefully. It may be that the Ubuntu MATE (and other editions) would show the UFW Firewall in the GUI Settings.

That is so, Stan. I had not noticed it myself because I do not use the GUI tool. It appears that at least as far back as 16.04 (including the 17.10 point releases expiring in July) ... Unity/GNOME does not have it, MATE does. Not sure with Xubuntu/Lubuntu/Studio &c, someone would have to tell us.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online