User Mode Linux

The link you have there works fine for me.

or you can try THIS

Just out of interest, are you attempting to access that site with a browser in a Linux operating system ?
http://www.uml.org/

Hello@Condobloke

Thank you my friend.
Yes I'm using Mozilla from Linux Mint but the problem is my Internet connection. I'm sure now.
I'm on board the ship, that's why.

mate......you gotta watch those ships....they will lead you seriously astray.....

On a more serious note....when you have better reception you should be good to go.

Mine on that (the OP's) link comes up with

Your link may be a few hours old. Click the link below to continue to the page you selected, or return to search.yahoo.com to search again for the most recent results.

http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/

The direct link Yahoo suggests works fine for me, and Brian's link with UML direct works OK under Google.

Morning all :D

when you have better reception you should be good to go.

I think that's only when he is in port, is that so, Capta?

BTW like the new avatar, is it a self-portrait? :rolleyes:

Wizard

Self portrait....hell yeah !!....and that was one of my better days !

I wonder if they have a satellite connection on board ?....which would give them 'connection; while at sea ?

hello guys

@wizardfromoz If it was a self-portrait , I would be a Victoria's secrete model, not a seaman!!!:D
and yes at port reception is better bcz we are using local 4G .
@Condobloke Yeap, we have a satellite connection on board, No more radio officer :p we run on Internet era. Unfortunately.

As per thread now !!! I can see the site and I can download the kernel but when I tried to download the filesystem always appear error.

Could you give a shot pls!!

Thanks

Morning all :D

Downloading the kernel works fine for me, but trying to download the File System takes me to a Browser Error, I'll scout around during the day, perhaps at the direct link that Brian provided?

Wiz

Thank you @wizardfromoz

So my internet working well .

By the way Mars is the Roman translation of Greek God of War "Aris"

Cheers!!!

Whoa, mate.... let me interrupt this for a moment. Maybe I'm confused, but if the Linux you are trying to download is from this site, I would point out that it is using Fedora Core 5 (first filesystem link) and Fedora Core 6 (64-bit filesystem link). Also, the kernel version is from the 2.6 series. (To compare, the latest Linux kernel is 4.15, and Fedora is currently version 27.)

Do you realize that stuff is over 10 years old? It is generally a very bad idea to run operating systems that are that old unless you have some special purpose or need for that.

OK, just my 2 cents. Carry on! :confused::D

Cheers

Hey @atanere good morning

I saw that but I'm not sure.
Do you have any better suggestion about User Mode Linux?

Sounds very good, I would really like to try it.

Yes, sir... maybe I can steer you into something like what you're looking for.

The UML site says this, "User-Mode Linux gives you a virtual machine that may have more hardware and software virtual resources than your actual, physical computer. Disk storage for the virtual machine is entirely contained inside a single file on your physical machine. You can assign your virtual machine only the hardware access you want it to have. With properly limited access, nothing you do on the virtual machine can change or damage your real computer, or its software."

There are at least several "virtual machine" programs that you can use in Linux. Their purpose is pretty much the same as that stated above for UML... they will create a "virtual hard drive" (usually about 20 GB) and you can install a totally different operating system inside of them, whether Windows, or other versions of Linux.

I am no expert with this stuff, but VirtualBox is the only one I have any experience with. It is free and fairly easy to install and use. There is a way to install the Linux .iso file into VirtualBox without first burning it to DVD or USB stick, so that saves a bit of trouble.

I've got to work early tomorrow so I must go for now, but Google around for VirtualBox instructions or other "virtual machine" software and you will discover several options that you might choose from.

Cheers

Thanks a lot @atanere

Go for rest, I will try & I will let you know.

Cheers

Hi all

On Stan's reservations:

Yes and no.

Capta is better going through the link Brian provided and going from there.

There is material going back to 2007, which obviously sounds dated, but there are also copyrights to the material dating 2017, a video celebrating 20 years (which automatically makes it current), etc.

So take a wander through, my seafaring friend, and tell us anything of interest.

Anything you are not sure of, throw it at us, and we hope we have your back :cool:

Chris
wizardfromoz

The link you have there works fine for me.

or you can try THIS

Just out of interest, are you attempting to access that site with a browser in a Linux operating system ?

Am I seeing something different? That UML page describes "Unified Modeling Language"... but does not seem to be a virtual machine application. Maybe I am chasing the wrong rabbit, as has happened (many times) before. :confused::confused::D:D

Cheers

Am I seeing something different? That UML page describes "Unified Modeling Language"... but does not seem to be a virtual machine application. Maybe I am chasing the wrong rabbit, as has happened (many times) before.

@wizardfromoz
@atanere

I have the same exact results, anyway.

I will download virtual box at first opportunity but probably I will need a bit of help!!
Thanks for now & c u around

Morning all. :)

virtualbox is in your Linux Mint repositories, so you can install it via Synaptic Package Manager, or else at Terminal

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install virtualbox

A lesser known but popular alternative is VMware. Brian may remember from our old haunts that cat1092 was a fan of VMware over virtualbox.

You can get it from here

https://www.vmware.com/au/products/workstation-player.html

... it downloads in a file ending in .bundle which you can then make executable and install.

Install directions I found here look OK - it was edited as recently as April 2017

https://askubuntu.com/questions/521199/how-to-install-bundle-packages-in-ubuntu

Cheers

Wiz

Hello @wizardfromoz

How are you?
I just download virtualbox with command that you said but I cant see it in GUI.
Do I need to do something more?

I can see it that is already downloaded with
Code:
dpkg --list

after that?

My bad (mistake) friend - apparently you also have to have virtualbox-qt for the GUI side, so

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install virtualbox-qt

#OR

sudo apt install virtualbox-qt

... reboot if you need to and you'll find it in your Mint MATE under Menu - Accessories.

I'm off on a 2 week road trip commencing Wednesday our time, but Stan, Brian and others likely know heaps more about VMs than I.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts