Useless USB ports

Atman

Reaction score
Credits
I'm new to Linux using Mint on a new Lenovo Ideapad. Both USB ports quit working after two months. I've read this is likely a driver issue that could easily be fixed with Windows OS. Eliminated Windows when the machine came with Windows S installed. Problem is I am not nearly familiar enough with command line to mess with the driver packages in Linux. Any suggestions?

G'day @Atman and welcome to linux.org :)

I may not be able to answer your question, but I can ask some questions that will help others to help you.

1. Which Linux Mint version and DE (desktop environment)?
  2. Model and specs on your Lenovo?
  3. If you are not sure on the above, please open Terminal and type and enter
    Code:
    inxi -Fxz
    - this will give us much of what we need to know
  4. I've read this is likely a driver issue that could easily be fixed with Windows OS.
    Can you give us a link for that reference? It may help fast-track us.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Installing Windows will not fix a Linux problem. As the Wiz said we need to know what version of Linux you are using and the rest of his information request.

Lenovo Ideapad 130-15AST running Linux Mint Cinnamon window interface. Found numerous sites that mentioned what seems to be a fairly common problem with Lenovo (USB ports quit functioning) The most common solution was removing and replacing drivers. Others suggested wiping all software related to USB ports and reinstalling. I can try and track down some of the sources/if so will post here. Regardless, the main ongoing issue is accessing updates when Lenovo does not support Linux. I have no intention of going back to Windows (this machine came with Windows S mode and it was the last straw)....but I've also missed a critical update (which may be part of the problem). Thanks both of you for following up on this.

Lenovo Ideapad 130-15AST X86 64 bit X86 64 bit AMD A9-9425 Radeon R5 5 Compute Cores 2C+3G,
Device 3 Qualcomm Atheros type: USB Driver: btusb bus ID 1-1.2:3

Cinnamon 4.6.7 Distro: Linux Mont 20 Ulyana Ubuntu 20.04 focal

Not to put words into the Wizard's mouth - and risking lightning bolts :eek: - the actual command is
Code:
inxi -Fxz

:D

.....are you still in the land of the living @jglen490 ?....any near misses by lightning bolts ?

G'day @Atman and welcome to linux.org :)

I may not be able to answer your question, but I can ask some questions that will help others to help you.

1. Which Linux Mint version and DE (desktop environment)?
  2. Model and specs on your Lenovo?
  3. If you are not sure on the above, please open Terminal and type and enter
    Code:
    inxi -Fxz
    - this will give us much of what we need to know

4. Can you give us a link for that reference? It may help fast-track us.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Not to put words into the Wizard's mouth - and risking lightning bolts :eek: - the actual command is

John, see #2 :)

Wiz
All out of lightning bolts ... need coffee

You are correct, but #5 and #6 are clearly missing something, thus my response ...

Hmmm, still no lightning ;)

After much research I've found this seems to be a power management autosuspend issue that does not turn on with a restart but does with a full shutdown. So I can get both ports functional by shutting the machine down. Knowing that, I can familiarize myself with terminal before I go in and mess with autosuspend settings and write a boot grub. Seems to me in my searches I saw a warning about just shutting off autosuspend. I'll look further before I try and adjust the files. Thanks for your time, Wizard. Learning curves...

Learning curves...

Learning Linux is like a bunch of S-bends strung together. You go from one to the next one.

If you get to the end of the drive before we do, let us know and we can learn.

If you get stuck in a dead-end street or get a flat tire and don't have a spare, call us before you call Triple A - we don't charge.

Cheers

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts