USB network

Wike1970

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Everybody

I have some questions which I hope some one can help me with. I have Dell Latitude E6420 with a Intel i5 CPU in it. And GPU from Intel HD Graphics 3000. The bad thing with it is that its intern Wi-Fi doesn't work, so I use a Plexgear USB Wi-Fi Network on it. This work well when it ran Windows 10 on it. But I don't like Windows 10, so I decide to install Feren OS Linux on it. But then it USB network stop working. Is there a way to get it to work on Linux? And how does one do to get to work? Hope any one can help with this questions. I rather use Linux then Windows, because I like Linux.

Yours
Christer

If you show the output in a termninal of the command:
Code:
lsusb
then the output may show the driver that you need to install.

For example on a wifi connected machine here:
Code:
[flip@flop ~]$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2357:0107 TP-Link TL-WN821N v5/v6 [RTL8192EU]
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c31c Logitech, Inc. Keyboard K120
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c018 Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
It's apparent that the driver needed to run this wifi dongle is: 8192EU. It's available at github and just needed to be installed. What does the command show in your case?

OK so you say the internal Wi-Fi didn't work ? Did you try installing the necessary drivers [I am guessing its a RTL chipset wi-fi]
Feren is a clone of Ubuntu which is based on Debian stable [not tested it myself ]
So, can you connect to the internet with a cable to the router or by tethering a mobile phone? If yes.
plug the Wi-Fi adaptor in
open a terminal and run inxi -Nn and paste back the result
inxi usually installs with Ubuntu distributions, if not you will need to install it

If you show the output in a termninal of the command:
Code:
lsusb
then the output may show the driver that you need to install.

For example on a wifi connected machine here:
Code:
[flip@flop ~]$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2357:0107 TP-Link TL-WN821N v5/v6 [RTL8192EU]
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c31c Logitech, Inc. Keyboard K120
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c018 Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
It's apparent that the driver needed to run this wifi dongle is: 8192EU. It's available at github and just needed to be installed. What does the command show in your case?
When type in "lsusb" it will answer this.
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 0a5c:5800 Broadcom Corp. BCM5880 Secure Applications Processor
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0bda:8179 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188EUS 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter
So if I see correct it is device 005 Realtek RTL8188EUS that is Wireless Network Adapter. Is there any way to get to activate it? And how does one do it. It seems that it find it but not activated.

So if I see correct it is device 005 Realtek RTL8188EUS that is Wireless Network Adapter. Is there any way to get to activate it? And how does one do it. It seems that it find it but not activated.
The driver at github linked by Brickwizard above looks like the best option. After having a quick look at the feren docs in their pdf, the latest of which appears to be dated July 22, 2022, I couldn't find any information on building drivers, but you will need to have installed the compiler and other tools on your system to build the driver to install it. The package which includes the way of getting the tools in the debian/ubuntu universe is called: build-essential. Here is a link to some basic info on installing it: https://linuxhint.com/install-build-essential-ubuntu/. You will also need to install the package: dkms and the headers to the kernel you build against. After the tools are installed, you should be able to follow the instructions.

Last edited:
These may help...

It's worth noting that there are a few different drivers for the 8188eus on github, so if one doesn't work, there are others to try, though it could be a tedious business. If you search github with "8188" and nose through the pages you can pick up quite a few of them. Some appear specific to some kernels but may be usable with others not tested. Wifi drivers for linux are a "work in progress" to say the least.

Info on wifi drivers known to work with linux can be found here: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers, and here: https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi, and here: http://linux-wless.passys.nl/index.php. There are other places too of course online.

One alternative to having to find and compile the wifi driver oneself is to check out which wifi drivers are in the kernel and then acquire a dongle that has one of the chipsets that those drivers work with. The wireless drivers in debian are stored at: /usr/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless, so if the feren distro follows debian, that's where they'll be.

Staff online