USB KEY on ubuntu 14.04 LTS - Trusty version.

denocean

Reaction score
Credits
Good day,

I using ubuntu 14.04 LTS - Trusty version and my usb key doesn't works when it mounted.

Please find the Message got : unable to execute the specified command. The file or folder file: // media / dennis / EOF6-31C3 does not exist

Thanks so much to help me for finding the solution with this current problem. Dennis : [email protected]

Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr is not supported since April of 2019 and I recommed installing a supported Linux distro.

Don't waste your time with 14.04. It's no longer supported and you will not be able to get security patches of any kind for it. Go with 18.04 LTS or with 19.10, which is a non-LTS.

Are you trying to do a dual boot? installing on bare metal? Replacing Windows or another Linux? A lot more information might be useful in solving this problem, should it occur again.

Thanks for your reply. I don't have a dual boot.....I know about the 14.04 LTS expire in April 2020 ( 5 years) and the updates will be over.

April 2020 is like 2 or 3 weeks from now - depending on the specific drop dead date. Again, you'd be better off with 18.04 or 19.10, and even 19.10 will expire a few months.

Your problem sounds like there is directory at /media/dennis/EOF6-31C3 and there is nothing bootable actually attached to that directory, or the physical device attached there is just , well, empty. When you mount the USB device, open a terminal and enter
Code:
dmesg
The last few lines should reflect what happens when you mount the USB device. See how it identifies the device.

folks just a heads up - lts for ubuntu is 5 years which always results on an odd-numbered year

14.04 trusty expired 30 april 2019

the op has not been receiving security updates or bug fixes since then

cheers

chris turner
wizardfromoz

Good day,

I did " dmesg " as you mentioned. Please the attachment in " txt "
Thanks so much for your kind replies and solution with my problem of USB key on 14.04 LTS trusty ( kubuntu). Friendl Denocean

Attachments

• USB KEY FAILURE.txt
    75.2 KB · Views: 372
Please note this error -
3798.820570] FAT-fs (sdb1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
. This error typically occurs when a USB drive is removed before it is unmounted, or before the USB device was completely unmounted. It can be fixed. Attach the device, then in the terminal run
Code:
sudo fsck /dev/sdb1
since it shows up as sdb1. The fsck utility will give you info on what it finds and will ask for input or confirmation of action. After it runs the first time, if it indictes the drive is clean, run the same command again to be certain. If the first run was not clean, run the command again, and then run it a third time. It should be fine after that. If not, you can format the USB drive and re-burn the .iso to it.

Thanks so much for your message for the process.
Please find the message got on my terminal F12 :
SATELLITE-C850D-11R:~$ sudo fsck /dev/sdb1
[sudo] password for dennis:
fsck de util-linux 2.20.1
fsck.fat 3.0.26 (2014-03-07)
0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
1) Remove dirty bit
2) No action
? sudo fsck /dev/sdb1
Invalid input.
? sudo fsck /dev/sdb1
Invalid input.

What must I do now ?
Thanks so much for your reply.

did you choose 1 or 2 ?

wizard

This is an example of "interaction" with fsck, so as wizard asked did you respond with 1, or with 2?

The "invalid inputs" are coming from within fsck; basically you can't run fsck inside of a running fsck, so your choices are to respond with "1" or with "2".

Good day my friends,

I did not reply with 1 or 2. I don't know what to do because I'm really newbie on Linux.
What do you advice me to reply ?. Thanks

Please find below reply 1 I choose.

0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
1) Remove dirty bit
2) No action
Leaving filesystem unchanged.
/dev/sdb1: 3624 files, 63830/1890727 clusters

I don't know what to do after ....thanks for your advice.
Do I need to try my usb key now ?

Now that the dirty bit has (hopefully) been reset, I would run fsck on that partition again, see if any further errors show up. The fsck utility never hurts, and may fix many things!

please find the new run fsck reply on f12

1) Remove dirty bit
2) No action
? 1

SATELLITE-C850D-11R:~$ sudo fsck /dev/sdb1
1) Remove dirty bit
2) No action
? 1
dennis@dennis-SATELLITE-C850D-11R:~$

Before doing the fsck again, let's make sure the partition is unmounted.
Code:
sudo umount /dev/sdb1

then enter
Code:
sudo fsck -a /dev/sdb1

Hello my friend,
Please find the reply ;
umount : /dev/sdb1 : n'est pas monté
dennis@dennis-SATELLITE-C850D-11R:~$ sudo fsck -a /dev/sdb1
Automatically removing dirty bit.

Now while it is still unmounted, run sudo fsck /dev/sdb1 again to make certain the file system is good.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts