Usb drive formatting issues?

jbar2016

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, i am fairly new to linux, but i am learning quickly and enjoying my experience for the most part.

So i seem to have a common issue between distros, which is probably user related...

I am on linux mint, Reading usb flash drives seem to work fine, i recently copied a backup hdd to my pc because it was failing, i then formatted a 32gb flash drive and copied the files to the drive and it completed successfully, when it tried to read later it says the drive is corrupt.

In the past i have used kubuntu and zorin os with similar outcomes.

I have an upgraded ssd coming in today and it is time to backup the backup, so i need to find a way to get these flash drives working, i am going to try reformatting on windows and then copying over, i will respond with my outcome here

i then formatted a 32gb flash drive.....

What file format did you use...?....fat32....NTFS....EXT4....??

I am assuming the backup hard drive had Linux backups on it ..?

I believe i tried fat 32 because i want to be able to use it in linux and windows, it took a while to copy everything over so i cannot remember exactly. As far as files, it was general stuff, a bunch of pictures, music, iso's, pc dianostic software stuff etc.

G'day @jbar2016 , Hi Brian :)

Linux will read and work with both FAT32 and NTFS, so if you had any files larger than 4GB you could use NTFS.

Wizard

how are you copying the files over? are you using a terminal or GUI program?

So i was using the built in tools of mint, not terminal, and I noticed I tried out the backup usb I created where it said it was corrupt' and windows read the drive and mounted it after a few minutes, but i was unsure how stable it was so I tried a different usb and it stopped copying half way through with 3 different usb drives. I finally copied the backup to a hdd, and used windows to make a new usb

Members online