usb device management

elaineYing

Reaction score
Credits
I would like to ask is anyone know about USB device management product that is used for Linux or Mac os.
USB management is mainly used to control and monitor peripheral devices to prevent data theft and data loss. For example, you can create device whitelist, monitor or block the device, or remotely grant USB access...etc.
The command provides a mechanism to prohibit the use of usb devices, but on the other side, technical staffs have access to open it.
I want to find the product that provide the service that only those people who have permission to control the USB data.

Last edited:

G'day Elaine and welcome to linux.org :)

I note that you have the same question at linuxquestions.org HERE, also placed today or so.

I wonder if you want to give them more time to respond, or to close that Thread there and take your chances here? Let us know, but it is difficult to field your questions when you may be getting and acting upon, different advice from elsewhere, and in effect can just waste the time of people here (and there) trying to help you.

If you choose to remain here, I will move you to our Security section, where you may get a more qualified response.

As a suggestion, have you read this article here ?

https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01373108/document

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks for your advice, but this is too hard for me.

I will close this topic, thanks for everyone's help.

I don't know of any products offhand - but I'd imagine that there would be a way to use the permissions groups to prevent users from being able to use USB storage devices.

For example, ensuring that non-privileged users are not members of the cdrom or plugdev groups.
That should prevent them from being able to use the CD/DVD drive and stop them from being able to use USB too. Perhaps?

But that might mean that they wouldn't be able to use ANY USB devices - e.g. mouse/keyboard. IDK!

I don't know of any products offhand - but I'd imagine that there would be a way to use the permissions groups to prevent users from being able to use USB storage devices.

For example, ensuring that non-privileged users are not members of the cdrom or plugdev groups.
That should prevent them from being able to use the CD/DVD drive and stop them from being able to use USB too. Perhaps?

But that might mean that they wouldn't be able to use ANY USB devices - e.g. mouse/keyboard. IDK!

Thanks for your reply,
I want to confirm that you said "there would be a way to use the permissions groups to prevent users from being able to use USB storage devices.
". Is it referring to the use of linux permissions to manage USB?

If you were to tell us exactly what you are trying to do, perhaps we can help further.

I am using Linux Mint 18.3
If I click on menu...type in 'user'....open user group....click on my name...then click on 'groups'...it shows the various groups that as admin I have access to......one of these is 'plugdev'

It is associated with usb devices, I believe.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=882624

Members online