upside down video in cheese

bartman59

Reaction score
Credits
i am running mint on an older asus k52f and when i open cheese my video is upside down i cant seem to find a driver for the cam to correct the issue. any ideas?

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Hmm... There's usually two screws holding it in place. It may well be installed upside down. If you're willing to undertake the challenge, crack open the monitor portion of the laptop (may require a heat gun) and flip it 180°.

OP
B

bartman59

Reaction score
Credits
Hmm... There's usually two screws holding it in place. It may well be installed upside down. If you're willing to undertake the challenge, crack open the monitor portion of the laptop (may require a heat gun) and flip it 180°.
no, its not installed upside down, i had a similar issue with windows and the camera had a weird driver you had to download to fix it. but turning it over will do the same thing, thanks

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Huh... Hmm... Do you know the make and model of the camera?

There *may* be Linux drivers. I take it you're using Mint, so you should have 3rd party drivers enabled. Is there anything listed in there about it?

But, with the make and model of the camera we might be able to find you a driver and show you how to install it.

OP
B

bartman59

Reaction score
Credits
Huh... Hmm... Do you know the make and model of the camera?

There *may* be Linux drivers. I take it you're using Mint, so you should have 3rd party drivers enabled. Is there anything listed in there about it?

But, with the make and model of the camera we might be able to find you a driver and show you how to install it.
thats the thing, i don't remember what the camera model was and its so old asus no longer has driver support for it

OP
B

bartman59

Reaction score
Credits
it was an azureware camera found a win 7 driver on a 3rd party site still dont know how to install it

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
It might be included in the output of inxi - but I don't use webcams for anything so I've never checked.

It might also be listed in 'lshw'.

So, open your terminal and enter:

Code:
inxi -v 7

OR:

Code:
sudo lshw

And share the results. Put the results in code tags like I did with the commands, if you want to make it easier to read them.

OP
B

bartman59

Reaction score
Credits
It might be included in the output of inxi - but I don't use webcams for anything so I've never checked.

It might also be listed in 'lshw'.

So, open your terminal and enter:

Code:
inxi -v 7

OR:

Code:
sudo lshw

And share the results. Put the results in code tags like I did with the commands, if you want to make it easier to read them.

OP
B

bartman59

Reaction score
Credits
I started using red hat back in the 90's dual booted with win 98 and have been back and forth ever since and was always able to find a solution for most issues till I was in a bad accident 8 years ago and had a brain injury. now its harder to do anything

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
That has to suck. So far, my faculties remain, even though I am aging more rapidly.

If you get a minute, swing over to Member Introductions (if you plan on sticking around) and tell us a bit about yourself.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online