Upgrading receiving errors. Need help!

Sichen Tang

Reaction score
Credits
Have bought the Pixelbook for a while and still haven't really got used to this Linux thing. I think it says error since I tried to upgrade my linux to the last version a couple of months ago. It gave out some code in the box. Right now, it just gives out a blank box and still can't upgrade. Do you people have any ideas how to fix this? Really appreciate it.
Image.jpeg

G'day Sichen, Welcome to Linux.org

you might like to give us some detail

Was Linux already on the Pixelbook when you got it/

If it wasnt already on there, how was it put on?

Which Linux is it?.....version number too please. (Linux Mint 20.2 ??....as an example)

What are you upgrading to...version number etc

Give us the whole story !

G'day Sichen, Welcome to Linux.org

you might like to give us some detail

Was Linux already on the Pixelbook when you got it/

If it wasnt already on there, how was it put on?

Which Linux is it?.....version number too please. (Linux Mint 20.2 ??....as an example)

What are you upgrading to...version number etc

Give us the whole story !
G'day to you, too. Thanks for the welcoming.
Sorry for not being specific enough. I indeed changed nothing on the system since I got the laptop, so yes, it was already on the Pixelbook when I got it.
It says the current version is: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch). It tells me that it's no long supported on the laptop anymore.
The version it's upgrading to is: Debian 10 (Buster). That's what it says anyway.
Feel free to ask for more information. Thanks for the help!

Ok, Debian is not my forte, but there are plenty here who I am sure are ready and able to Help

The information you have provided should be enough to get them started.

Be patient. The members here are from all over the world, so different time zones play a big part.

Ok, Debian is not my forte, but there are plenty here who I am sure are ready and able to Help

The information you have provided should be enough to get them started.

Be patient. The members here are from all over the world, so different time zones play a big part.
I understand. Thanks anyway!

That looks like a customised version, nothing like a Debian upgrade window that I have ever seen.

Does the manufacturer offer particular instructions or preparations to perform those upgrades?

Debian upgrades are well documented, although crafty processes that require some preparation. In fact, this is what you'd have to do with a vanilla (non-Pixelbook) Debian installation for upgrading from 9: https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

Last edited:
That looks like a customised version, nothing like a Debian upgrade window that I have ever seen.

Does the manufacturer offer particular instructions or preparations to perform those upgrades?

Debian upgrades are well documented, although crafty processes that require some preparation. In fact, this is what you'd have to do with a vanilla (non-Pixelbook) Debian installation for upgrading from 9: https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
I see. Don't recall that ever received instructions tho.
I'll take a look at that manual. Still don't know what the problem is.
Thanks!

Welcome, your Pixelbook, was originally built as a chromebook, depending on its age the version of chrome OS it came with could be either Ubuntu, Gentoo or Debian 10 based,
Chrome OS is a hybrid between GNU and proprietary [google] components So assuming it still has a version of chrome these are the instructions on how it should be done
[this site will also tell you how to fix your broken chrome]
Now.. If it is a pre 2018 machine it is unlikely to be updatable [chrome OS builds usually last for around 6 yrs] so you may consider changing the chrome to another OS, the one made especialy for a low spec chromebooks is

ADDENDUM.... after further checking your pixelbook will take a lot of work to try and get even Galium to work [there are many known issues] you may be better off installing the latest chrome OS

Bwiz

Last edited:
Welcome, your Pixelbook, was originally built as a chromebook, depending on its age the version of chrome OS it came with could be either Ubuntu, Gentoo or Debian 10 based,
Chrome OS is a hybrid between GNU and proprietary [google] components So assuming it still has a version of chrome these are the instructions on how it should be done
[this site will also tell you how to fix your broken chrome]
Now.. If it is a pre 2018 machine it is unlikely to be updatable [chrome OS builds usually last for around 6 yrs] so you may consider changing the chrome to another OS, the one made especialy for a low spec chromebooks is

ADDENDUM.... after further checking your pixelbook will take a lot of work to try and get even Galium to work [there are many known issues] you may be better off installing the latest chrome OS

Bwiz
Hi Bwiz,
I got my Pixelbook in early 2020 I think, so I think it falls under the first category. However, for me, it's the linux that doesn't upgrade properly. My Chrome OS is doing fine I think.
I can definitely try the factory reseting. It's a bit annoying to have to back up the files again.
Thanks for the advice.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts