Upgrading path to Fedora 36.

Atheist

Reaction score
Credits
I just bought an LG Gram (15.6") that is very nice and I want to run Fedora 36 on it. Assuming that I can handle the problems inherent in the beta version, is it better to start today with F35 or with the nightly F36s to later upgrade to the final F36 when it is out of beta? IOW, does one upgrade path lead to a cleaner finished product months from now, or perhaps, an easier upgrade? Thanks for any comments. A

I have a rawhide VM that I've been running 36 on for a while.
No real problems so far. I run 35 on most of my other computers.
You can upgrade 35 to 36 "on the fly". But if 36 is what you want to end up with,
I would just install the rawhide beta.

Last edited:
I have a rawhide VM that I've been running 36 on for a while.
No real problems so far. I run 35 on most of my other computers.
You can upgrade 35 to 36 "on the fly". But if 36 is what you want to end up with,
I would just install the rawhide beta.

Thanks. (I do remember fondly the days of DOS -- I still have a few 5.25-inch floppies! :) )
I thought I read somewhere that in order to upgrade from Rawhide, a full erase and install will eventually be needed. I guess I was hoping to not have to reinstall programs and data down the road. is that being too much of a PollyAnna?

I still have a few 5.25-inch floppies!

Kinda off-topic, but the last time I bought some of those (I have a TRS-80 in my basement, in what I sometimes call my lab or bench) they were almost $2.00 each. A quick look says the price has actually gone down a little since then.

I recall ten packs were like a buck back in the day. My memory is pretty clouded, but I'm pretty sure you could almost always find them on sale for less than that.

Wanna play Zork?

Kinda off-topic, but the last time I bought some of those (I have a TRS-80 in my basement, in what I sometimes call my lab or bench) they were almost $2.00 each. A quick look says the price has actually gone down a little since then.

I recall ten packs were like a buck back in the day. My memory is pretty clouded, but I'm pretty sure you could almost always find them on sale for less than that.

Wanna play Zork?
I still have King's Quest on floppy. And Asylum! I had to finally get rid of my two TRS-80s model I. :-(
Remember using a pencil eraser on the edge connectors? I also had a stringy floppy. What a disaster! But that was better than the audio cassette storage.

Remember using a pencil eraser on the edge connectors?

Or that spray-able non-conductive 'lead cleaner' you could get at Radio Shack - but an eraser worked in a pinch.

Mine has been upgraded to 512k (or 48k, I'd have to go look, it's one or the other) memory. I've got a few other older computers down there but I mostly want to get my VIC-20 going again. As is oh so common, the power brick is dead. I could probably fix it myself, but I'm lazy, forgetful, and don't want to start a fire.

I have two awesome games for the VIC-20 - one is "Jacks or Better" - a poker game. The other is "FLOG" which a careful observer will notice is 'golf' backwards. It was all math to figure out the swings, not something where you press a button and then press another button to swing (like modern golf games). You typed in coordinates, spin, power, club, etc... It was horrible - but awesome at the same time.

Amusingly, I mostly hated the old computers.

I thought I read somewhere that in order to upgrade from Rawhide, a full erase and install will eventually be needed. I guess I was hoping to not have to reinstall programs and data down the road

I have only had to do this once in the last 11 releases. 31 to 32 was a bit of a bother.

(I have a TRS-80 in my basement,

No trash80's, but I have a commodore64. I wonder if it will turn on. Haven't tried it in about a decade.

No trash80's,

Technically, a have a model II and a model III - but the model II hasn't booted in a long time and I've invested zero time in figuring it out.

How to Upgrade to a new branched release: I have been running an early-March release of Fedora 36. Today there is a new release:
Fedora-36-20220319.n.
How do I update/upgrade to that one? Thanks, A

Fedora-36-20220319.n.
How do I update/upgrade to that one? Thanks, A

Those are iso's not rpms. If you use an iso, you will have re-install from scratch.
If you want the latest rpm's (typically newer than what is on the iso), just do a
dnf update -y
You can do this almost every day if you want.

That's *exactly* the droid I was looking for ! :)
Much grass...

Members online