Upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and now I regret it...

George9

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I've upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and everything is broken...
I am running Kubuntu on HP Zbook Firefly 14 G7 since previous codename, but this jammy...

First of all there isn't normal update center for other drivers in so called "Discover".
And Discover window was freezing for me! I had also problems with YT and Twitch stopping in playing...
I found somewhere I have to update Nvidia drivers so I did - sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall.
It made me assign MOK to secure boot...

I couldn't ask here before because without running the mentioned command I didn't see captcha... :D

However Twitch is still lagging for me... when the lag happens I run speedtest and my download speed
is almost nonexistent 12Mb/s out of 250Mb/s! Sometimes even upload speed is hindered.

Soo GPU drivers are updated... Now network adapter needs tinkering? I'm worried there would be more stuff to attend to...
Linux system needs sooo much attention it's worse than girlfriend, golden stalky Windows lol...

Do u have any suggestions guys please?

Welcome to the forums, young'en
HP often use RTL wi-fi chipsets, to point us in the right direction, please run from the terminal inxi -Nn , [you may need to install inxi from the software manager] and paste back the full report

there was nothing in software manager -.-

sudo install ftw!

here it is:

Network:
Device-1: Intel Comet Lake PCH-LP CNVi WiFi driver: iwlwifi
IF: wlp0s20f3 state: up
IF-ID-1: docker0 state: down

just deleted their mac's ^^

I was not expecting intel wi-fi, I have checked the Comet lake sheets, the latest Linux driver is included in kernels 5.7 and upwards, and is reported to work OK with Ubuntu/Ubuntu 20.4
I don't know if @KGIII may have some input to this problem

Great, so it might be my ISP? (but the issue is happening like 4 days and it's optic fiber...)
Right now I've been checking several times on phone when the problem occurred and the least I had was 220.
On notebook it was literally even 8, 20 or 40... (wasn't testing simultaneously though)

BTW on Kubuntu how I can make sure my notebook is using dedicated GPU in times of need? ^^

PS: I'll run some streams on my notebook & desktop to see if it freezes at the same time -.-

yeah, it's the notebook where the problem lies...

It even refreshed page so it have exited full screen mode ;(

I am going to make a suggestion, you may think it odd, but it sometimes clears BIOS/UEFI conflicts.
Disconnect everything from the machine, switch on, once it has booted to desktop. PRESS AND HOLD the power key down for 60 seconds, release and re-boot

How'd you upgrade to 22.04 - the upgrade path or a clean install?

I am going to make a suggestion, you may think it odd, but it sometimes clears BIOS/UEFI conflicts.
Disconnect everything from the machine, switch on, once it has booted to desktop. PRESS AND HOLD the power key down for 60 seconds, release and re-boot
cool, I did it twice just to make sure :D

BTW: it's like popping battery out of MB in desktop, but just notebook wise?

cool, I did it twice just to make sure
Do I take it, that it solved the problem?

it's an engineer's trick, that can clear many conflicts,

Do I take it, that it solved the problem?

it's an engineer's trick, that can clear many conflicts,
you have to always wait little longer ^^ btw it's random

aaand it happen again -.- making stream to be behind 27sec vs competitor, ffs...

It reads like the system update went wrong somewhere.

What I'd do is download 22.0.1 from Ubuntu, run it in a live session (you can install things like Twitch in the live instance) to see if your system displays the same symptoms.

I never did nor understood this process.

So I'll download 22.0.1 from Ubuntu save it onto USB, boot from USB and select there "Try Ubuntu".
Also somewhere in that environment (which in reality is the DLed file) should be the installation I have downloaded before?

Also why just not press Install Ubuntu rather than Try Ubuntu and select there something like - don't touch any files except for system ones?

Also somewhere in that environment (which in reality is the DLed file) should be the installation I have downloaded before?

While it will be, don't worry about that for now.

Also why just not press Install Ubuntu rather than Try Ubuntu and select there something like - don't touch any files except for system ones?

No, no... It'll do a full/clean install unless you tell it to not overwrite /home - a bit more complex.

Again, don't worry about that yet. First find out if the problems exist in 22.0.1 without installing anything.

Then, if you do need to install, you can just copy your /home/<user> directory to an external drive, do the install, install your preferred applications, and then restore your /home/<user> - which should mean you won't have to go through configuring anything, all your settings should more or less be the same as you already have them.

But, for now, just check to see if the problems exist while running the OS in its live configuration.

Ah, ok I'll check it tomorrow.

Btw I should be able to scrap a list of all of my packages and bulk install them afterwards, right?

I wud just delete all unnecessary from the .txt file, but wud be way faster.
How wud I do that please?

You can try this:

Code:
aptitude search '!~M ~i'

That'll show you what you manually installed (what's installed automatically won't matter), but there will be some overlap and you won't recall installing a lot of it, 'cause it was installed as dependencies to other software you installed.

Still, it's a smaller list than everything that's installed.

If you want, you can pipe the output to a text file.

Code:
aptitude search '!~M ~i' > installed-apps.txt

omfg, I decided to do a fresh installation because I found my backup HDD.

Long story short - my data are lost and issues persists Kubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221230_161753.png
    Screenshot_20221230_161753.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 120
I would be inclined to try something different, MX Linux or Mint LMDE5

Well, it has been decided - I returned to lovely Windows.

OS has to be the backbone of stuff and not a burden, everyday even several times clicking sudo apt update & sudo apt ugrade -y was enough.
Buut also figuring zillion other issues... I've bore this for 8 months...

Look at this beautiful connection.

Thank you for the ideas and your time!

connection.png

Members online