Upgrade unpacking take eternity

Babylinux002

Reaction score
Credits
I make an upgrade on kali vm and the installation process take very long time almost 20h now at 33%. In the beginning it goes from 1 to 25% in 1h. The snapshot aswell expand memory from 2.5gb to 11gb since the process start. I just guessing how to make it faster.

How long since you last updated it? Is the host on a wireless or wired connection? Does the host have an HDD or a SSD? What virtualization software are you using? Did you try using another apt mirror?

This is not in link with the internet because it is the dpkg process. Now i reboot everything and restart the process with dpkg --configure -a and it restart well until it stop with this error

done.
done.
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.9.0-kali1-amd64

sync: error syncing '/boot/initrd.img-5.9.0-kali1-amd64': Input/output error
dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.31-12) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
initramfs-tools

- image said 4 month update but i download it 2 months ago.
- wired
- ssd
- virtualbox
- no default

This is not in link with the internet because it is the dpkg process
Then why didn't you mention this before in your first post? It looks like some relevant info.
sync: error syncing '/boot/initrd.img-5.9.0-kali1-amd64': Input/output error
This looks like the VM image might be corrupted. I suggest downloading a new kali.iso and create a new VM.

Ok there is no better solution to this i mean, i take the image from the official kali website and always verifies hash. Look not plausible to me. Anyway, i try ever linux distros and nerver be able to upgrade one.

i take the image from the official kali website
Ah, you used the pre-made virtualbox Kali image? Did you follow the guide? https://www.kali.org/docs/virtualization/install-virtualbox-guest-vm/
https://www.kali.org/docs/virtualization/install-virtualbox-guest-additions/
Also, in that page it reads
We always generate the images using the latest version of VirtualBox.
This means something might've changed in the two months since you downloaded it. Again, download a new image and install right away, so you get a fully updated image.
Anyway, i try ever linux distros and nerver be able to upgrade one.
You're probably doing something wrong. I've been using Linux for over ten years and never, ever have had such issues, nor in bare metal, neither in virtual machines.

Anyway, i try ever linux distros and nerver be able to upgrade one.
It could be a Virtualbox problem since you are having this problem on all the distros you have tried which I assume you also tried in vm's. What version of Virtualbox are you running, try this?

I think that you have something wrong in your vm network settings does your browsers works fine in vm ?

Fixed now. I reback to the snapshot from before the upgrade and run it again and work find. Look like files was corrupt from lagging network during download.

Members online

Latest posts