Upgrade HDD to SSD

Jeffrey Lapinski

Reaction score
Credits
Hello All,
Quick question... I have a dual drive system, a 256 SSD and 1 TB HDD. I want to upgrade the SSD to a 2 TB but upon reviewing a lot of the information available it appears that I need to remove the entire motherboard to get the SSD slot. So, what I am wondering is can I simply upgrade the HDD that is easily accessible to a larger capacity 2.5 inch SSD instead of upgrading the M2? Is there any drawback to doing it this way?

Beyond my paygrade, Jeffrey (and Hi :))

Hope someone else has answers

Good luck

Wizard

Hello! Thanks for chiming in and I hope that you are well! No worries, I actually think this will work but before I go tearing out the insides of my laptop I want to get some confirmation from those who likely know better! I have upgraded HDD -> SSD in the past on a different machine but never one that also has a M.2 SSD. Anyway, great to hear from you! :)

SSDs are very light in weight, and I have run one just fine attached to the cable and not mounted at all. I wouldn't try this with a HDD, naturally.
Just make sure they are well in the airflow path or else they may get overly too hot. My easily get over ~110F and I believe SSDs usually clock out beyond the ~150F mark.

Hello All,
Quick question... I have a dual drive system, a 256 SSD and 1 TB HDD. I want to upgrade the SSD to a 2 TB but upon reviewing a lot of the information available it appears that I need to remove the entire motherboard to get the SSD slot. So, what I am wondering is can I simply upgrade the HDD that is easily accessible to a larger capacity 2.5 inch SSD instead of upgrading the M2? Is there any drawback to doing it this way?
Hi Jeffery, Yes you can do this. I have done it on three different laptops from three different manufacturers, Gigabyte, Asus, and Dell. They all three work wonderfully, and there is no issues with overheating. I used prefer Samsung SSDs.

One small issue can be the height of the drive. I fixed that usually with some paper to avoid mechanical force to the connector. But apart from that sata doesnt care if its an SSD or HDD

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts