Upgrade from Kernel 1.6.12 to 1.6.13 now causes boot-up error on automatic decrypting and mounting a second disk....

cdwilli

Reaction score
Credits
I have two disks in my laptop, one boot disk and one backup disk. I have both disks encrypted with LUKS, and when I boot the system I type in the password for the boot disk. I've set up the second disk, /dev/sda1, to automatically decrypt and mount as /drive2. It's worked fine for several generations of Fedora Linux, and I'm running Fedora 37. Recently I ran the command 'sudo dnf upgrade -y' and got kernel 1.6.13, and now when I reboot I get an error on that second disk. I have to reboot a second time and choose the older 1.6.12 kernel for the laptop to fully boot. (I have root login disabled, meaning I can't work from the command line prompt on failure.)

Here's what I get when I look at the system messages:

[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device dev-sda1.device - /dev/sda1.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for [email protected] - File System Check on /dev/sda1.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for drive2.mount - /drive2.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for local-fs.target - Local File Systems.
[DEPEND] Dependency failed for selinux-autorelabel-mark.service - Mark the need to relabel after reboot.

Anybody got any idea what this would be?
Thanks much.

I would be amazed if you are running the 1.6.x kernel in Fedora, I suspect you mean 6.1.x

My first thought is that the 6.1.13 kernel was released before all the encryption dependencies were released.
I would try re-running the update.

Yep, you're right about the kernel version. I'll wait for the encryption dependencies to show up, will continue to use 6.1.12. Thanks.

What I'm finding is that /dev/sda1, the encrypted disk, does not appear at all using gparted in either Linux 6.1.13 or Linux 6.1.14, but /dev/sda1 DOES appear in Linux 6.1.12....

I have had problems in the past with various distributions and Kernel updates, all I usually do is wind back to the last working kernel and try again in a few months when there is a chance of broken packages have been fixed

G'day @cdwilli and welcome to linux.org :)

If you want to be able to boot automatically into 6.1.12 at startup and need help in doing so, sing out and I will walk you through.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Avagudweegend, all

G'day @cdwilli and welcome to linux.org :)

If you want to be able to boot automatically into 6.1.12 at startup and need help in doing so, sing out and I will walk you through.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Avagudweegend, all
Thanks for the offer. I've ended up changing a line in /etc/fstab so that I can boot up in post 6.1.12:

FROM
/dev/sda1 /drive2 ext4 defaults 0 3
TO
/dev/sda1 /drive2 ext4 noauto 0 3

I can afford not to have /dev/sda recognized for now, so I'll keep working on trying to get later versions of Linux to recognize the disk.

SOLVED. I upgraded to 6.1.18 this morning, and -- voila! -- /dev/sda1 is back!

Members online

Latest posts