Updating the Bios on a Lenovo c940?

keyless1

Reaction score
Credits
I am running Ubuntu 19.10. I'd like to install the bios update that's available, but Lenovo only releases them as .exe's for Windows.

I've been looking around, and there are a lot of opinions on how to work around it - from installing Windows 10 as a dual boot to many, many third party options... Since I'm sure I'm not the first person to run into this - what do you guys suggest?

I'll add that my main rationale for wanting the update is that I'm overheating when doing anything even slightly cpu intensive. I'm hoping the update helps... I'm open to other options.

I'm looking for the easiest option. Thoughts?

The easiest option is to use fwupdmgr! I have a recent Thinkpad laptop and I updated the BIOS running Arch Linux. On Ubuntu, fwupdmgr should be already installed, otherwise:

Bash:
# Install the daemon
sudo apt install fwupd
# Start the service
sudo systemctl start fwupd
# Look for updates and install firmware updates
sudo fwupdmg refresh
sudo fwupdmgr update

By default you are receiving firmware updates by the stable branch, but you can switch to the testing branch to receive more updates (I do not recommend that if you don't know what you are doing).

Usually fwupdmgr is integrated in the GNOME settings, under "firmware". Since the tool is provided by LVFS (OEMs distributing firmware updates to Linux users) you're bounded to what Lenovo choose to ship for your model. In my case, it was possible to make my fingerprint reader work. Dig deeper!

The first question is, what problem(s) are you having that an updated BIOS will solve? Even MB manufacturers warn against updating a BIOS just to update it.

The first question is, what problem(s) are you having that an updated BIOS will solve? Even MB manufacturers warn against updating a BIOS just to update it.
Exactly.
If your computer is working without problems then stay with the current working bios.
I've seen too many turn a working computer into a nonworking computer from bios upgrades.

The OP stated
I'll add that my main rationale for wanting the update is that I'm overheating when doing anything even slightly cpu intensive. I'm hoping the update helps... I'm open to other options.

I don't think a BIOS update will alleviate the issue and updating the BIOS runs the risk of "bricking" the system but if the OP wants to try it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My guess would be the problem is most likely something to do with cooling the CPU. Could be clogged with dust, fan may have stopped working, thermal pad may be insufficient, could be a defective CPU.

Try a BIOS update - test it out - (may work) - troubleshoot from there.

May end up having to boot into FreeDOS in order to update BIOS.

Members online

Latest posts