Update Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to newest version

Namaah

Reaction score
Credits
Good Day.

My laptop is an old one and its OS is Linux - Ubuntu, version 12.04.5 LTS.
I have tried updating it using Terminal commands such as $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (bet for those who are even a bit experienced this could be an easy task, but I have tried hard to achieve this!)
I wish one of you good souls could help me upgrading it step-by-step so I can at least watch a YouTube video, as I can not even open simple websites at the internet with this computer, since they all say "it's not supported".

I have read Ubunto notes about release cycles and information, and I do know it would be best for me to do a fresh install, but the problem is I have no clue how to do that. I've seen some posts about this, but none with how to install it from an older version.
If such a post already exists and I haven't found it, could you at least link it for me?

Thank you in advance!

Cheers!

Last edited:

Need some specs on your Machine - Make, Model, what kind of processor, how much RAM - that version of Ubuntu has not been supported since Apr 2017 - I would recommend a new full install you won't be able to upgrade Ubuntu 12 - Ubuntu no longer supports 32Bit - if your machine is 32Bit I would suggest moving to a Debian based OS - like Linux Mint DE 4 - MX Linux - Emmabuntus - Debian - but in any event we need some specs to help you decide - you can use
Code:
inxi -F
in the terminal and paste back the results

I have tried updating it using Terminal commands such as $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Just for informational purposes:

The Ubuntu repositories for old and unsupported versions get shut down shortly after the product reaches EOL.

So, no... apt commands aren't going to help you.

Members online