update manager - kernel - list of option popup, I want to know, which is best for my computer, thanks?

sickofms

Reaction score
Credits
2 update manager kernel option pop up.jpg

Just do "sudo apt full-upgrade" in your terminal...
Cheers,
Eddy

I got to ask, why did it give me an option if it was going to install all the choices anyway?
by the way, I have not continued with this yet bc I upgraded my other computer with MS. it ruined it so that make me wary.

Last edited:
I got to ask, why did it give me an option if it was going to install all the choices anyway?
by the way, I have not continued with this yet bc I upgraded my other computer with MS. it ruined it so that make me wary.
It gave you the option to upgrade the kernel because the Update Manger found updates for the kernel that your Linux Mint installation is using at this time.
Trusting the Update Manager should not be a problem. I've allowed the upgrades to the kernel over the last few years I've been running Linux Mint and never had any issue's.

If you experience problems once the new kernel is installed you can always roll back to an older kernel if you'd like.

Updates from MS and updates from the Linux Mint repo's are completely different.

With Mint you can verify where the updates are coming from and if they are the correct updates for the exact version of Mint you are running. To check that open your Update Manager and go to Edit> Software Sources.
Mirrors.png

If you haven't already make use of Timeshift. It will save a backup/snapshot of your current system and be helpful if things go wrong.
Timeshift.png

I appreciate the response, but I don't think my question is being answered. I had heard that linux kernel can ruined Intel CPU. I had tried looking these up, but I don't understand it. For something should be a simple maintenance sure make it so confusing.

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

If you're worried...create a snapshot with Timeshift first.

Mint updates wont break your system...if you see this notice just click OK...it's telling you what will be installed so don't worry. People coming from that other OS are paranoid about updates breaking the system but remember this is Linux...all is good.
m1212.gif

I appreciate the response, but I don't think my question is being answered. I had heard that linux kernel can ruined Intel CPU. I had tried looking these up, but I don't understand it. For something should be a simple maintenance sure make it so confusing.

What you have heard and what is true are two different things...I can tell you that's BS.
m1213.gif

My 10 year old Tower has an Intel i5 CPU and has been running Linux Mint since 17.2 (now nearly 8 years) and works just fine. With Linux there's a little learning to be done and once that's done you'll find it's not that hard as for maintenance it's very different with Linux because there really isn't any...but that might be for another Thread.
m1203.gif

I got to ask, why did it give me an option
Those are NOT options....they come with the kernel update. Their appearance is quite normal.

I have used Linux Mint for approx 8 years, and have had a drama with an update....Once. ...(and that is out of thousands of updates)

Just allow the update to take place...accept the additional changes.

I had heard that linux kernel can ruined Intel CPU
That is wrong.....bs. my cpu is intel.
I upgraded my other computer with MS. it ruined it so that make me wary.
What does that mean ?......ms ruined your other computer or linux ruined it ?

Those are NOT options....they come with the kernel update. Their appearance is quite normal.

I have used Linux Mint for approx 8 years, and have had a drama with an update....Once. ...(and that is out of thousands of updates)

Just allow the update to take place...accept the additional changes.

That is wrong.....bs. my cpu is intel.

What does that mean ?......ms ruined your other computer or linux ruined it ?
it means that ms last upgrade made my screen blead red and the touch pad will not scroll and battery wont recharge anymore. it has amd 2.5 ghz cpu with duel core that made it run slow. I think they did it on purpose to get me to buy a new computer if this linux end up trashing this computer, they won. I really didn't get my answer but thanks anyway.
I would suggest don't make it look like an option list and have a non-technical explanation for us dummies, uh newcomers, like highlight it with what this mean icon or something like that. thanks

So....you are putting Linux onto that same laptop?

Highly unlikely that Linux will cause any harm.

Keep the Updates....up to date. I do mine every day. The Linux Updates generally give no problems.

You can use an app/program called Timeshift to restore to an earlier time.....just in case you screw things up......but....you will need either a big usb stick or a usb external hard drive to store it on

So....you are putting Linux onto that same laptop?

Highly unlikely that Linux will cause any harm.

Keep the Updates....up to date. I do mine every day. The Linux Updates generally give no problems.

You can use an app/program called Timeshift to restore to an earlier time.....just in case you screw things up......but....you will need either a big usb stick or a usb external hard drive to store it on
upgraded win10 on hp laptop that screwed it up. linux is on macbook air.

ok....understood.

Welcome to the forums, young'en
Linux is way different to windows in how it is compiled, windows will often completely rework a program to issue an update, with Linux applications, it is done slightly differently, often you will get quick updated to dependencies [the building blocks of all Linux apps] ,other times as with the kernel update you will have to update those dependencies when you upgrade a pre-compiled packaged app., that is when you get the pop-up saying the additional dependencies will be installed, It is not a pick and choose option, it is telling you what is needed to make the update/upgrade work, [you may also get the pop-up when installing a new app]

tried to keep it as simple as I am!

Last edited:
@sickofms welcome to linux.org :)

I am 65 and two of my friends here are in their 70s - not sure about Bob, he might have to be counted in dog years.

You have nothing to fear about Linux, and anyone who says that the linux kernel will trash an Intel CPU is talking drivel.

That being said, it is a learning curve and we are here to help.

But it is not Windows. Have a read if you wish of this.

https://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Addendum to my post #13 above
I have just received an update to my system with the pop-up showing what additional packages need to be upgraded/installed, as I said in my main post, it's not an option [ one thing you will learn on your Linux journey, YOU now own your machine, motherboard, screen, keyboard and operating distribution, and from time to time it likes to tell you what is going on]
screenshot
Screenshot from 2023-01-28 07-49-14.png
below

Greetings @sickofms
Welcome to the forum!
I came from Windows 7 to Linux Mint several years ago. I was on Windows from 1995 until I discovered the wonderful world of Linux. {I think it was around 2015}.
Like you, I was very wary at first. I did not know how to do anything except the MS way of doing things.
It took me a while to understand the Linux way of doing things.
One thing I have found is to trust that Linux will not break your computer!!!
I know that is hard to believe {at first}, but it is true.
I have been doing the updates offered by Linux Mint since I started. I have never had a problem with them.
As I read in one of the books on Linux - "Get ready to spend some time learning about the power of your computer. It's not that it is hard to learn, but that it is so vast."
I would follow the advice of all the previous posters above. Read carefully what they have to say. Just slow down a bit and try to digest what they are telling you.
Linux is a journey. It can be a very fruitful trip or very frustrating. It depends on what you do with it.
Did I mention that I turned 88 years of age a couple months ago?
Once again, welcome to Linux dot org.
Old Geezer, tango charlie

Why don't people take notice of what we say...it reminds me of what laurel and hardy once said...

Why don't people take notice of what we say...

They don't listen to their doctor, their lawyer, or their accountant - and they're *paying* those people for their professional advice.

They don't listen to their doctor, their lawyer, or their accountant - and they're *paying* those people for their professional advice.
lol, that video just prove why we are skeptical. I had gotten second opinion out of all of them but thanks for trying to help us out thought that why we come here. a horse can smell water 12 miles away you know. you push the pencil. there is more than one way to look at it when you don't know what to look for.

lol, that video just prove why we are skeptical. I had gotten second opinion out of all of them but thanks for trying to help us out thought that why we come here. a horse can smell water 12 miles away you know. you push the pencil. there is more than one way to look at it when you don't know what to look for.

Oh, I suck at listening to two out of three of those. Of the three, I absolutely listen to my lawyer!

If I listened to my doctor and accountant, I'd be healthier (and boring) and wealthier (and boring).

Members online