Unknown user/password

Fixer89

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone,
I have almost zero experience using Linux. I've been searching for a solution to my problem for a while and either 1) I don't understand what is being said or 2) the fix does not work for my system.

I have a piece of research equipment that has it's own internal server, I operate the system using a Windows 7 laptop that connects to the system through a switch. I cannot operate the system through the software because there are no users on the systems internal HDD to log into the software with.

What I am trying to do is log in to the internal HDD and add an admin user so that I can log into the software on the laptop. Or at least find out that I can't do that and figure out a different fix.

The systems' internal HDD is running Red Hat Linux release 6.2 (Zoot).
Link of the boot from start to finish: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mW9FEYrVMjjQqFn6A

I have tried all kinds of standard combination user/pw, with no result. I found instructions to boot into single user mode, but could not get access to the grub menu screen.
As I said at the beginning, I have zero experience with Linux and would greatly appreciate some help if possible.

Thank you.

Arochester,
Thank you for responding so quickly.

The first article asks for an install CD which I do not have. I did not create this system, it is a piece of medical research equipment that was purchased by my company.
The second article describes the bootloader, I'm not 100% sure what that is, but I'm fairly certain I do not at any time have an option to choose which kernel to boot into.
And the last article describes changing the password if you know the password which I do not.

Thank you

Only the root user would know the password:-

This is most likely an Administrator or a RH Certified Engineer that installed RHEL on that machine.

The bootloader is a program that executes and helps the operating system to boot.
Most of the Linux distributions today use the Grub bootloader.

How To Recover The Root Password:

Members online