• We did not send an email asking for donations - please read this post.

Unexpected Inconsistency

Buzzz

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all, I'm new to Linux. I have installed LXLE in January, and have been getting used to it. I tried booting up recently and this is the text that shows up...

Scanning for Btrfs filesystems
/dev/sda5 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Inodes that were a part of a corrupted orphan linked list found.

/dev/sda5: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck exited with status code 4
The root filesystem on /dev/sda5 requires a manual fsck

BusyBox v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1:1.22.0-15ubuntu1.4) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _

I have entered 'help' and tried most of the commands but haven't gotten any results. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I am running Linux LXLE alongside Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.

Thanks!

jglen490

Reaction score
Credits
I would enter sudo fsck /dev/sda5 and see what it does. Normally /dev/sda5 must be unmounted when running fsck against it. You may need to boot using a Live installer on a USB drive, opening a terminal in the Live session and then run the fsck.

You may start getting errors, maybe even a lot of errors, that will require a response (such as entering a y). You can either respond with "y" to each one, or enter an "a" and it will assume "y" for all responses. And again, there may be a few errors, or a TON of errors.

Once fsck completes, run it again, until you get a clean reply. You should be good once fsck shows the filesytem to be clean.

OP
Buzzz

Buzzz

Reaction score
Credits
Thank you jglen490! I followed your instructions and it worked. My system booted again as good as before. Kudos to you sir!

jglen490

Reaction score
Credits
You're welcome! Happy computing.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Staff online

Members online