Unable to login as root user in redhat linux 7

bhavya.tvk

Reaction score
Credits
currently /bin/sudo folder have full permission, so unable login as super user...we have to change /bin/sudo folder permission to 755..Then we can able to login as root user.

Plz help me out to resolve this issue

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_193324077_20201101_193327449.jpg
    IMG_20201101_193324077_20201101_193327449.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 326

I've never used a corporate linux, so IDK. What is the problem in changing the folder permission to 755? AFAIK that change is permanent.

It looks like you are logged in.
I think you mean you can't do "root" (administrator) commands using su.

su is not sudo.

If there is a sudoers file, and a user is in it. You can type sudo and then the command.
Many times sudoers limits users to specific commands. Some linux distro's such as Ubuntu
let you run all root commands. (Make you wonder why they even have sudo)
example:

sudo fdisk -l

However if you actually want to become another user, then you only type su. su stands for "switch user". You can do this two different ways.
1. su root -
In order to do this, you have to know the root password.
2. sudo su -
In order to do this, you have to have full root permissions in the sudoers file.

By default, redhat does not have any users in the sudoers file.
So unless someone added some accounts to the sudoers file during installation
(or sometime afterward) you will not be able to use sudo commands.

You can type sudo -l to see what commands you have access to. (Lowercase L)
If this says you don't have sudo access. The only other option is that you MUST know
the root password.

Last edited:
The permissions for /bin/sudo DO NOT need to be 755, the permissions for /bin/sudo should stay as they are and what are the permissions for /bin/su on your system? If you want to become the root user you can either switch to the root user or by using sudo as @dos2unix already explained.

Members online

Latest posts