Unable to install NVIDIA Linux Driver x86

A

Angelsong7

I'm trying to install the NVIDIA Linux Driver x 86 for the GT 740 card on my Mint 17.3 system. I'm assuming that it's a binary file. How do I install it?

Ran it, but got a message that says that I'm using an X server and I need to exit it before installing. How do I do that?

1. Use ctrl + alt + F1 to switch to terminal,
  2. login.
  3. run "sudo service lightdm stop" (without quotes) , lightdm and xserver should be stopped now (check with ctrl + alt + F7 , which is your current xorg session, it should not show any desktop now)
  4. ctrl + alt + F1 back to your working terminal, navigate to where your Nvidia script it located and run it according to the instructions.
  5. after driver is installed, run "sudo service lightdm start" (without quotes) to start lightdm and xorg again.
  6. ctrl + alt + F7 back to your desktop or reboot.
These instructions should work with Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based distros. Let me know if you use something different.

OK, Linux Mint is Ubuntu-based, so the steps I described above should work. If you get an error that "lightdm" is not running, or not loaded, or something to that effect, then try gdm, or mdm, or kdm, instead. The "dm" is "display manager" and represents the X server you are trying to shut down. Once you give the stop service command to the right one, your prompt will come back without any error, and you can test it as described in Step 3 (ctrl + alt + F7 will show that the desktop has disappeared meaning the X server shut down as desired).

Be sure to start the same display manager that you stopped, or else reboot. :D

Good luck!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts