Unable to boot from cd (Mint / Mate 64)

m1ke

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all. Brand new to Linux. Downloaded and burned a bootable cd for mint with mate 64 bit. I am loading to a blank hard drive. Linux will be my sole operating system on that computer. I changed my boot sequence to cd 1st, no problem, but when I turn on my computer, it begins to load the cd. Then I get a green screen that says Linux Mint. So far so good. But a few seconds into it, I get a string of strange text and an error line. (It says "end kernel panic not syncing : VFS : unable to mount root". I will try to upload a pic of the error message below. At that point everything just freezes until I restart the computer.

Just for fun I tried to load the cd on my win7 computer, but I got the exact same error message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My system is an ASUS, Core i5 3.2G, 8G ram, 64 bit.

Thanks again!
error.jpg

Hi @m1ke, and welcome! Since you're having the same problem on two different computers, it seems most likely to be your DVD did not burn properly. But first, if you still have the .iso file you downloaded, check the MD5 or SHA256 checksum to verify that the download itself is not corrupted. Here is a good place to start, and also this link gives more details on this process as well as including a link to a Windows program to assist you, if you need it.

Of course, you mean "DVD" and not "CD"... right? Linux Mint will not fit on a CD. :D

Cheers!

Yes, I meant DVD. Thanks for the tips. I will try and post back with an update.

Members online