Unable to Boot a 2nd time. Ubuntu T onto windows 10 desktop.

Ken69

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Old Newby here. Have a HP Laptop .Built for and worked well with Win 7. and then I got trapped with Win 10.
So I come to Linux. Downloaded Ubuntu 18.04. Used Universal USB Installer. Had no luck with Rufus or unetbootin. prob just too many selections to make.
So Booted up. With th Optione try it only. Ie Windows 10 Left working. All looked ok other than screen definition looked a bit early windows. Found Wifi Down. so unable really to progress.
Tried again today . Wifi Now working .But unable to boot Ubuntu a 2nd time. Any clues please. And Thank you in advance. Ken

Sorry, I'm confused about what is and what isn't working.

What happens when you boot up the computer? Do you get a menu to choose between Windows and Ubuntu? Does it boot directly into Windows without prompting you?

Yes . I haven't got the USB plugged in. But I wasnt aware that I started it the 1st time with dual boot as an option. So assumed I could manually boot it after I'd switched on. I wanted to ensure my wifi was connected 1st. Should I switch on with USB in then. Thanks for coming back to me.Ken

Hi . Tried again this time with usb plugged in. Booted only into windows. Wifi connected. Did a restart and this time up came my options to boot ubuntu. Chose same option to boot ubuntu without wiping win 10. Booted ok. Wifi switched off. Found the switch on for wifi on ubuntu. And hey presto. So this works for me. Just need to sort the bits to get gmail on there. And presume will find something to open old spreadsheets letters etc.. thank you . Again. Ken

fwiw......I access Gmail through Thunderbird in Linux Mint. Definitely worth a look

Thank you yes. I'm thinking Mint might be a good option.

I agree ....Mint is a good option.

However if you wish to stay with Ubuntu, Thunderbird mail works equally well there as well.

Linux is based on Ubuntu

Most all of the Linux families have Thunderbird mail in their software repositories.

Members online

Latest posts