Unable to access extra drives

JaceSchin

Reaction score
Credits
I am super new to Linux, so hopefully this is an easy problem to solve; even though I have searched high and low and can't find an answer to solve my problem.

So I am unable to access 2 of the 4 internal SSD drives in my computer. I am using openSuse Tumbleweed. I just got rid of Windows 10 on my computer to use openSuse.

I would like to use my drive sbd1 for my Windows VM. sbd1 is all one partition. In my research to try and solve this problem I think what I need to do is change ownership of the partition from 'root' to a my user or to a group. I have attached some screen shots of the details of the drive.

I have tried using 'chown' to change ownership but I keep getting the error message shown in the attached screen shot. I think I am getting the path to the drive wrong, but it seems like it should just be /dev/sbd1.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Attachments

• sbd1 General.png
    sbd1 General.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 371
  • sbd1 Permissions.png
    sbd1 Permissions.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 421
  • Konsole chown.png
    Konsole chown.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:

The xfs file system is the culprit. Don't know if openSuse has xfs tools but if they are available in the repo, install them. Meanwhile, backup the ~1GB of files onto a DVD. It's late, so come back in the AM and one of the East Coast members may help you further.

FYI when posting, it is almost mandatory to inform staff of your hardware. Look at this, please.

Hey thank you for the response! Sorry this is my first post ever. I built this computer back in 2013 so it is a little dated. I haven't used it for a few years but recently decided to dust it off and learn Linux. Here is a list of my hardware:
- CPU: Intel i5 4670k
- MB: Asus Z87-Pro
- RAM: G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333
- SSD
- Boot disk: Samsung EVO 500gb
- Other disks: Kingston 300v 480gb, " 240gb and " 120gb
- CPU fan: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3
- PSU: Corsair fanless 650w
- Case: Corsair C70

I am super new to Linux, so hopefully this is an easy problem to solve; even though I have searched high and low and can't find an answer to solve my problem.

So I am unable to access 3 of the 4 internal SSD drives in my computer. I am using openSuse Tumbleweed. I just got rid of Windows 10 on my computer to use openSuse.

I would like to use my drive sbd1 for my Windows VM. sbd1 is all one partition. In my research to try and solve this problem I think what I need to do is change ownership of the partition from 'root' to a my user or to a group. I have attached some screen shots of the details of the drive.

I have tried using 'chown' to change ownership but I keep getting the error message shown in the attached screen shot. I think I am getting the path to the drive wrong, but it seems like it should just be /dev/sbd1.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
@JaceSchin
Welcome Jace,
There is one thing I noticed in your post that may be the culprit.
You have written /dev/sbd1. I believe it should be /dev/sdb1.
One thing I have learned is that with computers everything has to be exactly right or things tend to go sideways.
Hope that solves your problem.
Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

@JaceSchin
Welcome Jace,
There is one thing I noticed in your post that may be the culprit.
You have written /dev/sbd1. I believe it should be /dev/sdb1.
One thing I have learned is that with computers everything has to be exactly right or things tend to go sideways.
Hope that solves your problem.
Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

Thank you for the response! I tried a few things with the corrected partition name. Attached is a screen shot of the terminal commands and the permissions for the drive. It didn't seem to correct the problem.

Attachments

• sdb1 Konsole.png
    sdb1 Konsole.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 363
  • sdb1 Permissions 2.png
    sdb1 Permissions 2.png
    61 KB · Views: 370
Out of the 4 ssd drives in my system I can add folders to two of them, the boot drive sda (Samsung EVO 500gb) and sdd (Kingston 300v 240gb). The boot drive is formated in btrfs and sdd is formated in fuseblk.

Attachments

• Boot drive sda General.png
    Boot drive sda General.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 389
  • Boot drive sda General.png
    Boot drive sda General.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 408
  • sdd General.png
    sdd General.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 424
  • sdd Permissions.png
    sdd Permissions.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 377
The attached pictures below show the drives that I cannot save folders or files too. They both have xfs in common and the permissions are set to root. I have not been able to change the ownership of the partitions to a user or a group. I have tried formatting the drives in ext4 but that didn't help.

Attachments

• sdc General.png
    sdc General.png
    79.8 KB · Views: 357
  • sdc Permissions.png
    sdc Permissions.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 416
  • sdb General.png
    sdb General.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 365
  • sdb Permissions.png
    sdb Permissions.png
    61 KB · Views: 421
what does :

cat /etc/fstab

# fdisk -l

both show ?

Last edited:
Let's try to understand what's happening.

Please, try this command:

ls -1 /run/media/jace

and these others:

sudo blkid

sudo lsblk

Let's try to understand what's happening.

Please, try this command:

ls -1 /run/media/jace

and these others:

sudo blkid

sudo lsblk

Flavio thanks for your response! Here is a pick of the konsole with the commands.

Attachments

• flavio response.png
    flavio response.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 379
Flavio thanks for your response! Here is a pick of the konsole with the commands.

It is better to copy the command and CTRL-Shift-V to paste on terminal:

ls -n /run/media/jace

Attached are the permissions I think

Attachments

• lsnrunmedia.png
    lsnrunmedia.png
    41 KB · Views: 417
Attached are the permissions I think

O primeiro e o terceiro, que tem 0 0 vc não pode acessar sem senha.

O do meio (verde 240), que tem 1000 e 100, você pode acessar.

Tente esse comando, mas copia sem errar:

sudo chown 1000:100 /run/media/jace/*

Depois, diz se resolveu ou não.

Haha, I don't know Portuguese but I used to be fluent in Spanish so I can understand some of it. Google translate helped me with the rest.

I didn't get any results with that one. I used ctrl-shift-v this time.

Attachments

• 1000:100.png
    1000:100.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 388
No... If you are logged as root in terminal, don't use "sudo":

chown -r 1000:100 /run/media/jace/*

After this, run it again:

ls -n /run/media/jace

Sweet!! All of my drives are logged in as user! Thanks for your help!! It was I spent hours trying to figure it out and it was driving me crazy.

Will it stay this way after I reboot? Or do I need to type that command in again?

Members online